The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is ARRL Life Membership Worth It?  (Read 163511 times)
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2016, 06:04:36 AM »

I can assure you that a change.org petition would NOT have gotten the Senate bill submitted. I was directly involved in that effort. The ARRL was instrumentally critical in follow-up lobbying to get this co-sponsored and to get it out of committee to the senate floor. Change.org would, IMHO, had the OPPOSITE effect.

Frank
K4FMH

Last time (2012?) I looked, their payroll expenses were about $9M on revenue of $14M. The top five execs total compensation was about $900K. The balance of the other payroll expenses are for staff.

None of the directors get paid. Only CEO @ $185k, CDO@ $157k, CFO @ $144K, COO @ $142K, CTO@ $140K.

All "non profits" must disclose their  tax returns. You can view them at guidestar.org.

I don't know if those figures are so offputting. They deal with government and legal issues, likely they would get paid similarly in the private for-profit sector. They probably are instrumental in getting the current bill passed but possibly that could be done with a change.org petition.
NJ2E

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2016, 01:57:24 PM »

The ARRL staff was visiting a local hamfest and I stopped and mentioned I was flattered that they
thought I would make it to 2099. They said that was just a date they picked and no meaning.
K7EXJ

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2016, 11:55:22 AM »

I opted for the life membership of ARRL when I was in my early 30s. Not sure exactly when but I've never considered it a poor investment. Even when I was not especially active in ham radio I found QST interesting. My XYL would have preferred that I keep them somewhere safe.... away from the house. Preferably in another state. Tongue

73s de K7EXJ
Craig Smiley
AA7LX

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2016, 01:40:29 PM »

I agree with many of the posted comments here. If, you are in your teens, 20's -or- 30's...  Life membership is a great deal. It's very true without the ARRL, Ham Radio in this Country with be now-very different if not right now, nonexistent. Certainly, with the input of the U.S. Commerce Department and the U.S. Navy in the 1920's and the 1930's and without the ARRL presence in Washington D.C. Amateur Radio would probably have been controlled by the U.S. Military and be at best restricted to the very few. That is why I am a member of the ARRL. I couldn't afford Life membership in my teens; in my 20's; and even in my 30's; even in my 40's. However, I looked at the life membership options before the membership rates increased on January 1st, 2016; because previously I had "upped" my membership by 2-year/3-year amounts within a years time. When talking with the ARRL Staff, I learned that one could "prorate" your present/current subscription length and apply that towards life membership. Very temping! However, since I'm in my sixties now, having a 10+ year or longer subscription, seems good for now. '73, George, AA7LX
W8LV

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2017, 08:49:06 AM »

How much is it for a Life Membership?

I guess that there's a few different ways of looking at it:

I'm  56.

If I DO get a Life Membership, and drop over next year,
will the last thing I'll think about really be: "D***n, here I am going Unconscious,
and I'm going to be out of that money that I shelled out to the ARRL?"

When I get to St. Peter's Gate, well I sure DO hope that I'm good in his Call Book.

It would be bad if when they looked you up in the Book of Life, and on that page it reads:
"This Space Intentionally Left Blank."

OR:

If I pull next months QST out of the mailbox in it's usual mangled condition (Thanks to the US Post Office)
And I see MY callsign listed in the Silent Key Section...

Does that mean I'm actually dead, or just in a Parallel Universe, a True Dead Carrier: Permanently Grounded six feet under in actuality?

At least I won't have to worry about lightning anymore.
Even if they bury me in Florida... That's one Good Thing.

Nah... I'll bet in Florida being buried six feet under in a metal box, inside a bigger Concrete Box,
you'll still get hit...

But you won't worry about it.

If I go The "Other" way, No Doubt that guy with the Bifurcated Tail will place me in an HOA for all Eternity.

OR:

If I get a Life Membership, then certainly I'll Live Forever...

But if not?

Thank God they don't let the US Post Office do any embalming work.

73 and All the Best!

DE Bill W8LV

« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 09:09:07 AM by W8LV » Logged
KOP

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2017, 08:00:26 PM »

No

October 02, 2017, 07:53:41 PM
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2017, 10:31:04 AM »

Just thought to add this.  The national ARRL has always been right there, but the state sections haven't.  I was a volunteer in a state section and was thanked for my services--until another person took over the state section and I was blackballed.  Won't even get a reply to an e-mail from my state division now.

Sad to say, but politics--even though the ARRL claims it doesn't--plays a BIG part of the organization.  So, for my say in this discussion, I have to say no, life membership isn't worth it.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2017, 10:22:32 AM »

An ARRL life membership in the US is only $1225 now!  Just think of it as another new rig on the desk!!   Roll Eyes
W9ZIM

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2017, 08:57:39 AM »

Is an ARRL Life Membership worth it?  I suppose that depends on whether or not you look at it as a bulk discount or an investment in the organization.
KOP

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2017, 11:22:07 AM »

Alright, I'll elaborate . Not for a dime, a dollar, a handshake or a promise will I support the A.R.R.L. in any fashion other than volunteering for exams. A new amateur can make up their own mind about what the league once was and now is . 
    If it was simply a fossilization of principals or ideals I might possibly concede. However it is it is far worse. Brain dead politic, questionable alliances, and alignment with special interest that has no other purpose than padding the league coffers .
     Its not your grandfather's A.R.R.L. nor your father's and will never be your's .
     Other than that its a wonderful organization dedicated to the , um , ahh, yeah , that ...

~kop

October 02, 2017, 07:53:41 PM
N8AUC

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2017, 10:35:08 AM »

Just thought to add this.  The national ARRL has always been right there, but the state sections haven't.  I was a volunteer in a state section and was thanked for my services--until another person took over the state section and I was blackballed.  Won't even get a reply to an e-mail from my state division now.

Sad to say, but politics--even though the ARRL claims it doesn't--plays a BIG part of the organization.  So, for my say in this discussion, I have to say no, life membership isn't worth it.

I totally agree with the above statement.
ARRL at the national level is pretty decent. But someone's individual experience can vary widely on a section by section basis.
I know that in Ohio, our section leadership right now is really good, and it has been for quite a long time now. Our division
guys are really good too, and have been for quite a while as well.

But I can remember years ago, when our division director was a total knob. He was so bad, that I wanted nothing to so with ARRL back then.

Now is life membership worth it? That depends.

If you look at it as a bulk discount, and you plan to be a member for more than 20 years, then yes it is. Otherwise, maybe not.
If you look at it as an investment in the organization, it probably is at the national level.
But if your division and section leadership has issues, you might not see it that way.

It's definitely a "your mileage may vary" type of thing.

WB5UAA

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2017, 12:27:07 PM »

When are they going to quit mailing out dead trees and go fully digital with QST, which can be downloaded from their web site straight into your phone with their ARRL app?

Just think of what would happen to their coffer if they could do away with printing/mailing costs.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: May 05, 2017, 04:25:01 PM »

I am an ARRL member. Incidentally, I don't get any vote about Directors - 'Taxation without representation?'

But I am a member because of what they do for amateur radio. Far more than any other national society, they support IARU and send people to ITU Study Groups and Working Parties as part of the US delegation. Now that is important - there are countries whose delegates do not believe in amateur radio, calling it a 'Rich white man's hobby'. The African delegate who said that to me was seen negotiating with a 'professional lady' in the red light area of Geneva - which you must pass through as you walk down to the pub "The Grand Duke". Plus his technical knowledge was, at best, negligible - one can understand his only reason for coming to Geneva - and it isn't Duty Free in the airport which is probably the most expensive in the world ....Regrettably, there are a number of developing countries whose delegates to ITU Study Groups have little or no engineering knowledge, but are there because of their countries' politics. There are also people from Administrations in developed Western European countries at these meetings who have minimal technical knowledge, but sufficient seniority for a 'jolly', too! Lack of technical knowledge is not entirely confined to the developing world -  at World Radio Conferences, the Head of the US Delegation is usually someone from the State Department of Ambassador Rank, not an engineer from NTIA...

But without IARU and ARRL, (the two are inextricably intertwined)  amateur radio internationally would be far worse off. With today's returns on investment, fewer and fewer societies are offering life memberships. RSGB stopped back in the 1990s because we could see us losing money on them overall.....and ARRL probably should do the same.

Yes, I have seen all this, having spent 17 years going to ITU for IARU and as a consultant on Amateur Radio to the UK Administration...
N8AUC

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2017, 07:39:31 PM »

I am an ARRL member. Incidentally, I don't get any vote about Directors - 'Taxation without representation?'

But I am a member because of what they do for amateur radio. Far more than any other national society, they support IARU and send people to ITU Study Groups and Working Parties as part of the US delegation. Now that is important - there are countries whose delegates do not believe in amateur radio, calling it a 'Rich white man's hobby'. The African delegate who said that to me was seen negotiating with a 'professional lady' in the red light area of Geneva - which you must pass through as you walk down to the pub "The Grand Duke". Plus his technical knowledge was, at best, negligible - one can understand his only reason for coming to Geneva - and it isn't Duty Free in the airport which is probably the most expensive in the world ....Regrettably, there are a number of developing countries whose delegates to ITU Study Groups have little or no engineering knowledge, but are there because of their countries' politics. There are also people from Administrations in developed Western European countries at these meetings who have minimal technical knowledge, but sufficient seniority for a 'jolly', too! Lack of technical knowledge is not entirely confined to the developing world -  at World Radio Conferences, the Head of the US Delegation is usually someone from the State Department of Ambassador Rank, not an engineer from NTIA...

But without IARU and ARRL, (the two are inextricably intertwined)  amateur radio internationally would be far worse off. With today's returns on investment, fewer and fewer societies are offering life memberships. RSGB stopped back in the 1990s because we could see us losing money on them overall.....and ARRL probably should do the same.

Yes, I have seen all this, having spent 17 years going to ITU for IARU and as a consultant on Amateur Radio to the UK Administration...

I wish I could say this story surprises me. But it doesn't. Sadly, there is plenty of that kind of stuff that goes on all the time in our federal government here in the United States. And every time we seem to rid ourselves of one miscreant, another slinks in to take his/her place. It's like a game of whack-a-mole.

When I was 18, and would have nothing to do with ARRL because of that boneheaded division director, I was too young at the time to have any inkling of the "bigger picture". I would like to think that with age, has come a little bit of wisdom and some additional insight. I am a member of ARRL today, and I do not have a life membership. And at age 56, I do not intend to purchase a life membership. (Should have done that back in my 20s!) Regardless, I intend to continue being a member of ARRL, just because of the "bigger picture" work they actually do, as G3RZP points out.

As for me, even if the organization has a few warts (which it does), I will continue to support it because of the lobbying and representative work they undertake. Because if it weren't for the ARRL, we probably would not have amateur radio in the United States today.

73 to all, and warm regards to our friends in the UK!
de N8AUC
Eric
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 07:48:03 PM by N8AUC » Logged
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2017, 11:25:12 PM »

Look at it this way...  If you live to be 99, you'll kick yourself for not getting it!  If you kick off before that, you can brag about it to the other SKs in the afterlife!!  Roll Eyes
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: