The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is ARRL Life Membership Worth It?  (Read 162093 times)
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: May 08, 2017, 12:16:43 PM »

Several months ago, I got the new and improved ARRL Handbook 2017 and the ARRL Antenna book 2017
along with ten to twelve pages of advertisers in each book.

Why? Hmmm....

73 and wear that seat belt.

Kraus
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2017, 05:57:34 PM »

In this day and age, any life membership is 'risky business'. In addition to the fact that you have to hang around long enough to make it worthwhile, the early 'death' rate of organizations themselves have increased substantially. I have already lost two life memberships due to the death of the organizations.

The other less talked about 'issue' with life memberships, is that you cannot vote with your wallet anymore, they got all your money already.

73 de Vince, VA3VF

KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2017, 02:18:41 PM »

When are they going to quit mailing out dead trees and go fully digital with QST, which can be downloaded from their web site straight into your phone with their ARRL app?

Just think of what would happen to their coffer if they could do away with printing/mailing costs.
Umm, they did that about five years ago.  When are you going to pay attention?  Wink
WB5UAA

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: May 26, 2017, 07:25:19 AM »

When are they going to quit mailing out dead trees and go fully digital with QST, which can be downloaded from their web site straight into your phone with their ARRL app?

Just think of what would happen to their coffer if they could do away with printing/mailing costs.
Umm, they did that about five years ago.  When are you going to pay attention?  Wink
Umm, me?  Not paying attention?  I'm still getting dead trees mailed to me.
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: June 03, 2017, 10:03:13 AM »

I would have to say yes.  I bought mine in the 70's.  The price was right and they are still there.  I do CQ in their digital version because it is always on time so far but I do prefer a magazine to a digital edition--not so much for the youth who prefer digital everything.
Art
WA7JCE

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2017, 05:22:27 AM »

I am rejoining amateur radio after a 13 year time out. My life membership is most of the reason. I started as a Novice in the mid 1960s and got my life membership then. two weeks ago I got my 50 year pin in the mail. ARRL is what you make it to be..  Here's hoping I'll get at least a few more years of proud membership. Phil Evans WA7JCE
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: August 17, 2017, 08:04:10 AM »

I bought a life membership in the early '70's and it definitely has been worth it.  Like a Govt. pension, it keeps giving.  If I had to do it today, I am not sure that I would.
Art
W3TTT

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: September 08, 2017, 11:11:05 AM »

A ham pal of mine got his lifetime membership in 1960 when the membership was like $100.00 or so. Now its up over $1000.00. I dont have that kind of $$ to just toss away now.

But with inflation factored in, the life membership is cheaper now than then.  $100 in 1960 is like $1500 now.  Even though an entry level rig would cost $500 in 1960 but today it costs $500.  Give or take. 

If you think that it costs too much to be a member every year, then just subscribe every other year.  That would cut your expenses in half but you could read all the past issues online.   Or even share a subscription with another ham.

KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: September 09, 2017, 08:43:41 AM »

I did a lifetime membership in the AWA.
http://www.antiquewireless.org
 I think that it worth it as the radio hobby is a chronic and incurable affliction. My kind, adoring and patient wife agrees that I am beyond any hope or redemption.
 It will be something that I will always enjoy being a part of and besides, the money goes to good cause.
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #99 on: September 10, 2017, 12:14:53 PM »

1. As the yearly dues go up regularly,  the "break even " comes sooner than the 25x.
2. Be careful when considering Life expectancy... even if the average LE age is 75, if YOU are already, say, 50, you are very likely to live to 85.
3. A LM is a statement of your commitment to the hobby.

Plus you get the cool pin.  ;-)

Mike N2MG
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: September 11, 2017, 02:22:53 PM »

. even if the average LE age is 75, if YOU are already, say, 50, you are very likely to live to 85.

Mike N2MG

Well, that is good news...  I was worried about nearing 70.
KOP

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: September 18, 2017, 04:51:25 PM »

1. As the yearly dues go up regularly,  the "break even " comes sooner than the 25x.
2. Be careful when considering Life expectancy... even if the average LE age is 75, if YOU are already, say, 50, you are very likely to live to 85.
3. A LM is a statement of your commitment to the hobby.

Plus you get the cool pin.  ;-)

Mike N2MG

In most other things we agree Mike. In this case I'm just not drinking the Kool-Aid.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: