Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ten years dealing with Ten Tec  (Read 3193 times)
WZ7I

Ignore
« on: November 15, 2000, 08:43:05 PM »

I am not a "made in America" nationalist nor am I a Ten Tec fanatic, but I am a very satisfied customer.

Over ten years ago I bought my first radio from Ten Tec.  Since that  time I have added other pieces of Ten Tec equipment but that first rig is still my main radio.  I have had problems over the years and I have dealt with people in a couple departments of the Company.  Without exception they have been kind and helpful, far beyond what they had to do.  They have made mistakes but they corrected them cheerfully.  Paul Clinton, WD4EBR, plays an important role in working with customers but he sometimes pulls in staff from elsewhere in the Company to address a problem.

Their equipment may not be the most advanced, it may not be the most reliable, or the most value for the money .   Frankly, I am past caring.  My next radio will almost certainly come from them for one good reason --I am absolutely confident that the folks in Tennessee will not leave me stuck with a problem.  They will work until the problem is resolved.  I know of almost no other organization with a corporate culture like this.  In a market where we have seen company after company disappear, we are fortunate to have a manufacturer with these values.
W8OB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2000, 06:14:26 AM »

i am a new convert to ten tec equipment i recently purchased a omni 6 plus from them . it was
a pleasure to talk with knowledgeable and polite sales people who make you feel like your
business is important to them, not only that i had a technical question called the service dept
and received a detailed answer as well. its really nice to have a company that uses real
people to answer the phones. i feel the omni 6 plus is the greatest hf radio i have ever owned
the performance exceeded my expectations, in fact the ft1000mp and 756 pro i tried for a few days
dont even hold a candle to it. i wasnt looking for useless bells and whistles just a radio that
worked well under all conditions. my next rig will be another tentec.
W2RBA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2000, 04:50:23 PM »

There is little doubt about it: Ten-Tec has got to be the best company at service in the world.  I first bought a used Argonaut 509; loved it so much (especially the QSK!) that I bought an Argosy from them next.  In 1983 I purchased a Corsair I which developed some audio difficulties shortly before FD, at which we had planned on using it.  They fixed it amazingly quickly, returned it, and we used it.  After that FD, though, another problem cropped up -- again to the factory and again it was returned very, very quickly.  Since then I have purchased kits and accessories from them (as well as having obtained, for nostalgia's sake, a Century 21 xcvr and a PM-3A xcvr).  Their gear is first rate and their service is even better.  (The other day they sent me the instructions for the recently acquired PM-3A at *no charge* -- not only did they have info on the 30-year old radio, they don't even charge for it!  Wow!).  

There's only one other company that has service as good -- Elecraft.  I hope they and Ten-Tec keep it up -- and my guess is that they will.

73, W2RBA
K5XS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2001, 03:16:38 PM »

Well, let me tell you of my Ten Tec experience.

I bought an Omni VI+ four years ago.  It failed last week.  I called the company.  I got right through to a tech expert who was not only knowledgeable, but friendly and helpful as well.  I described the symptoms and he gave me the "Yep, I think I know just your problem.  Are you up to a little soldering?"  Sure.  "Okay, I'll send you the parts, here's what you'll need to do..."

No charge, no arrogance, no condescension.  Just a friednly bunch of people who make me feel like my business matters to them.  Not at all like most experiences I've had with other manufacturers' service departments.

There's no doubt whose products I'll look at first next time I need a radio.

K0CBA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2001, 10:57:06 AM »

I had a little problem pop up in a piece of Ten Tec gear one time; called them, described the problem and the guy said "sounds like such and such a board".  Before I had a chance to come to 'full pucker' at what I was expecting next he said "I'll send the board; swap it out and if that fixes it, send the old board back".      I couldn't believe what I was hearing, but within a week, the new board arrived.   Oh yeah, it did fix the problem!     I shall always be impressed with Ten Tec.  Try that with a 'rice box'!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: