Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Clicking Microphone?"  (Read 879 times)
N4LCV

Ignore
« on: October 21, 2006, 08:40:30 PM »

I am running an MC-85 microphone that I bought at a hamfest into a Kenwood 930S. Today on 40 meters, the station I was working said that my signal sounded like every word began with a "Click." Later he said it sounded like an explosion of air as I began each word. I tried lowering the Mic Level on the Microphone & he said that it helped, but my audio went really low before the clicking was completely eliminated. I tried moving away from the Mic & talking more softly, but he said the clicking continued. Anyone have any ideas of what this might be?

Thanks

Randall
N4LCV
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 07:43:44 AM »

Randall,

Not sure, but I would suspect a problem that the MC series mic's have in that the two grounds may cause a ground loop. I think this issue has been discussed here before. You may want to do a search. Good luck.

73, de Lindy
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 09:13:26 AM »

I don't see how a ground loop would cause the symptoms described here.

Have you used other microphones that sounded better, with no reported "clicking?"

If so, the MC85 might be defective (bad transducer, or mike element) and the element might need replacement.

A mike shouldn't do that, unless they all do it -- in which case, it's *you* that's making the "clicking" sound!  And of course, that is possible.  But if it doesn't happen with other mikes, it's probably not you, it's the MC85.

WB2WIK/6
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: