The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ft-897 mode & band buttons stop working  (Read 2647 times)
KB3KYO

Ignore
« on: April 08, 2007, 05:54:15 AM »

This has happened twice to me... all of a sudden the mode and band buttons stop doing anything.  Everything else works ok.  A full processor reset did not fix it.  Let it sit overnight uplugged and the next day it's working fine.

Anyone else have this problem?  Getting a little nervous... besides having to reset all my setting and reprogram memories, I'm wondering if it's going to get worse and just die permanently.
N2VWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 08:41:39 PM »

I have not heard of that problem with the 897. A few questions come to mind. What power supply are you using and how is it handling the load, is the power supply at or beyond  it's load limit causing excessive ripple? Also, is there rf in your shack causing this symptom with your rig?

Gary n2vww
KB3KYO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 03:53:07 PM »

Well, here is what I found.  It went nuts again, so I removed the top cover and after removing two screws, the entire front faceplate tilts down.  I reseated every connector, and (crossing fingers here) it has been working fine.
KE5LDO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 06:44:42 AM »

I had the same problem and called Yaesu.  They suggested doing the factory reset procedure.  It is working fine now.  It at least solves the problrm, which could have been caused by a voltage spike.
ILDARIN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 05:38:47 PM »

Same problem here - reset didn't work
KJ4HVL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 11:04:31 AM »

While installing an IF tap on mine the other day something went awry in the device's cpu (guissing I coupled in some stray RF. Every power on resulted in a scanning VFO, band and mode buttons were dead, when I would touch the VFO knob it would transmit.

CPU reset cleared the issue (and all of my settings Smiley / Sad )
ILDARIN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 07:03:42 AM »

Well, reset didn't work for me.
Disconnecting and reconnecting the power supply cables (and a reset) did work.
KJ4HVL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 12:59:31 PM »

Sorry for resurrecting a dead thread, but I recently had the same issue. It proceeded to a full blown CPU lock up. When I power cycled the rig, I would get a sick sounding beep instead of the usual pure tone. I tracked it back to a USB hub I was using to split 1 USB to multiple CAT adapters.

If the cat cable was connected, but the USB host was powered off or disconnected the radio would lose its mind. I guess something was back-feeding enough power to power up the hub to some level.

Once I removed the CAT cable the issue cleared itself, and stayed gone once the CAT cable was directly connected to the PC. I can repeat it over and over.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: