Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ICOM 775DSP  (Read 1322 times)
K3MOV

Ignore
« on: November 13, 2000, 06:10:19 PM »

I just received my new ICOM 775DSP. I kept going back and forth between the PRO and the Mark V. The more I read and studied, the more convinced I became that the 775 was a good blend of the other two.

Does anyone know of a reflector or site that discusses the 775?
K3MOV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2000, 11:05:35 PM »

As a follow up to my previous entry, I neglected to mention that I purchased the 775 from Lentini in CT. I contacted HRO and Texas Towers. Neither of them, of course, was interested in a trade-in on my 756. I then called AES which offered me $900 at one store and $700 at another store for the 756. Its price for the 775 was $3499. When I called Lentini, I was given a price of $3399 and $1250 for the 756. I closed the deal within a matter of minutes.

Although I enjoy dealing with Rick at HRO in DE, I am never sure if I am receiving their best price. It is more like buying a car in that they may advertise an item for $1000. However, if you tell them you can get the same item for $900 at another retailer, they will usually match the price.

BY THE WAY, SINCE MY LAST ENTRY, I FOUND A NEW 775 SITE, www.vartel.com. THIS SITE ALSO HAS FORUMS FOR THE 706, 746 AND 756 AS WELL AS FOR THE FT 100,1000 AND 920.
VE6ADD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2001, 11:06:18 AM »

You forgot to mention one of the most important considerations when selecting a dealer - what kind of service department do they have to support you. It's the old you-get-what-you-pay-for. If you pay too little, the dealer may not be able to support you after the sale.

The 775DSP is the best radio I have ever owned, and also the most complex. I wouldn't dream of trying to repair it myself. And I would sure like to have a solid dealer on my side if I had a problem.

A good way to dispose of used gear, other than trading in on new, is listing on eBay. I am constantly amazed what eBay brings for used gear. Dealers need to make a little, to stay in business, as well as check out your trade in, and stand behind it if developes a problem.

Good luck with your new radio!

VE6ADD
K0CBA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2001, 09:49:28 AM »

I got mine about a year after they were out.  Had Icom do all the little upgrades that was mentioned in the QST review.  The 775DSP certianly will spoil a guy!  I've always believed Icom watts are better than regular watts anyday. :-)  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: