Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: freeband / 6m mod on VX-6R?  (Read 15404 times)
W6WWX

Ignore
« on: October 24, 2005, 08:24:51 PM »

Has anybody checked mods.dk regarding the VX-6R freeband mod?  There's a discussion on the UHF/VHF forum about this mod.. specifically whether Yaesu would manufacture a radio tha could TX on 6m and then lock it so it couldn't do it without the mod.  

Has anybody tried this mod, and specifically tried TX on 6m?

Please note I'm only interested in the 6m TX aspects of this freeband mod, I'm not interested in freebanding.
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 07:39:22 AM »

Hasn't this subject be rather thoroughly discussed in another forum?

If the VX-6R isn't advertised as having 6m capability, then even if it can be modified, most likely the performance will be marginal, at best.

BTW, you're the one who keeps using the term freebanding.

Lon
KC0VCU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 09:05:38 AM »

To be fair, I suggested checking here, as I believe it is more likely that he will get an answer to his question, which is does the VX-6R operate effectievly in 6 meter after the application of the 'Freeband mod.' The reason he keeps using the term 'Freeband' is because that's part of the title of the mod. If the developer of a car mod that adds a supercharger to the engine titles the mod 'OutRunTheCops mod' and descibes it as a way to amoung other things get much better highway milage, are you going to accuse everyone who adds a supercharger to their engine of being interested in outrunning the cops?

Why here? Well, the title of the forum includes 'Mods' which suggests that perhaps there are people here who are more interested in testing the limits of their equipment then perhaps those who hang out in the VHFUHF forum. Perhaps.

As to why this might work on a radio that is not marketed as a 6M capable radio, if you compare the VX-6r with the VX-5r and VX-7r, both of which are 6m capable, you will see a lot of outwardly similar characteristics. I would be a lot less surprised than you it would appear that Yaesu might be happy to use the same internal hardware for the new radio, and simply tell the software not to tx outside of the 2m/70cm bands. Not a lot of additional development costs, brand new radio, more money coming in.

That said, he has a point in an earlier message that the radio is new enough that there may not be many people who have tried this mod.

-Rusty - kc0vcu
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 09:22:04 PM »

As to why this might work on a radio that is not marketed as a 6M capable radio, if you compare the VX-6r with the VX-5r and VX-7r, both of which are 6m capable, you will see a lot of outwardly similar characteristics. I would be a lot less surprised than you it would appear that Yaesu might be happy to use the same internal hardware for the new radio, and simply tell the software not to tx outside of the 2m/70cm bands. Not a lot of additional development costs, brand new radio, more money coming in.

That said, he has a point in an earlier message that the radio is new enough that there may not be many people who have tried this mod.

-Rusty - kc0vcu

================

MANY radios (computers, VCRs, and other electronic devices) use the SAME circuit board, so they will outwardly appear similar.  The difference is often in the components that are (or aren't!) installed into that circuit board.  (It's called cost-effectiveness.)
    So the radio in question may NOT have 6M capability, regardless of the software (actually firmware) in the radio.  It's always cheaper from a manufacturer's standpoint to just leave out unneeded components than to disable a function in firmware.
W6WWX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2005, 04:47:33 PM »

Ok so I tried the mod, specifically removing the 4th solder blob from the left, and yes it works.  And yes it transmits on 6m.  My scanner indicates that the quality of transmission is fine, but I have no idea what the actual wattage output is.  The CTCSS encoding is available throughout all bands and can be used on 6m.  (Remember that each band has to have CTCSS encode enabled independently.)  However, ARS (automatic repeater shift) is only available on the original three bands (2m, 1.2m, 70cm); therefore 6m repeater shifts have to be programmed into each memory manually as odd splits.

This is also posted on the other forum under the same topic.
KA1MDA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2005, 05:24:26 PM »

Just because a radio can be modified to transmit on an additional frequency does not mean it should be used for that purpose. "I sound OK on a scanner" is not the way to verify correct operation. What is the power output on 6 meters? What is the spectral purity and harmonic supression? Without specialized (and expensive) test equipment like a spectrum analyzer, it's impossible to tell.

Although many manufacturers utilize common chassis or PCB's across product lines to save costs, there ARE components which may have been left out between models. Although the firmware may support 6 meter operation, chances are the manufacturer left out things like 6 meter harmonic and bandpass filtering, since that model was never marketed or intended for use on that band.

Experimentation and modification is an important and enjoyable part of ham radio. However, without proper equipment, such modifications could cause more harm than good. Imagine a situation where a local police, fire, or ambulance repeater in the VHF band gets jammed during an emergency by the (6 meter) third harmonic being generated by such a modified radio which may lack proper filtering.

73, de Tom, KA1MDA
www.ka1mda.org
W6WWX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 01:03:06 AM »

You know what, I'm just not going to worry about it.
KC0VCU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2005, 03:54:47 PM »

Yep, a spectrum analyzer could get rather expensive. Or you could program a scanner to scan the frequencies near and on the harmonics of a tuned frequency in 6 meters, and see if there is enough signal to receive at perhaps a distancd or 10 or 20 feet. Perhaps there is, if not, then it's likely that there isn't enough signal to cause interference. The tough part of this is that you will probably want to check each of the frequencies that you could tx on through the band.

Power is a real tough one. Might need to contemplate picking up a SWR meter that covers the band. Of course that might not be a bad idea anyway as the rubber ducky that comes with the vx-6r really isn't designed to resonate at 6 meters anyway, so you are going to have to come up with some other antena solution.

In any case, in looking through what has been asked, it has never been does this mod make a vx-6r into a vx-7r? Or the like. It was 'This mod claims to expand the tx range for a vx-6r to cover 6 meters, has anyone tried this, and if so were you succesfully able to use it in 6 meters?' Succesfully working 6 meters does not mean that the results are perfect. Every mod I have read that claims to expand the tx freqency range of a radio has a note that there are sections towards the edge of the range that are unstable. Take a look at the 'freeband' mod for a vx-2r as an example.

Note as well that the operating range of a 2r is very similar to the marketed operating range of a 6r, excepting for power. No one that I know of indicates that freebanding a 2r will give it the ability to tx in 6 meters.

as to why the 6r even has the capability to tx in 6 meters when the marketing literature does not indicate it can, there are costs associated with parts, and there are costs associated with production. With a potential market of 600,000 licenced hams in the US, Yaesu is not looking at the market and saying, 'Ok, we can sell 10,000 units this year, 4,000 will be 2r, 3,000 will be 5r, 2,000 will be 6r, and 1,000 will be 7r.' It will go more along the lines of '4,000 will probably be 2r, and 6,000 will be some each of 5,6, and 7r radios.' At a production volume of 6,000 a year, it makes a lot more sense to respond to the demand at the end of the production run than it does at the begining. It's a lot less expensive to write a different firmware to a common board and add the final parts (buttons, switches, case, etc.) than it is to go back to the motherboard manufacturing line and say 'we need another 100 of these without the 6 meter capability.'

This is a different market than PC's, or even DVD players. There the volumes of production are such that including parts for a feature that won't be included is significantly more expensive.

Granted that's my opinion, and I've been wrong plenty of times in the past.

-Rusty - kc0vcu
VR2VIX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 09:31:52 AM »

My Yaesu VX-6R comes with 6M Tx, with the unique 2-sectional antenna.
However, the 6M Tx is not listed in the spec, and thus i am not sure about the Tx power. (Some other HAM said that it was measured to be ~ 1.5 Watt)
VE3ECMW2

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 09:23:47 AM »

TO PUT ALL OF THIS TO REST:

The Asian version of the VX-6R is quad band 50/144/220/440 capable, with a TX power of 1.5W on 6m.

The Asian model comes with the 2 section antenna that is sold with the VX-7R in the USA.

So, YES: the "freeband" mod WILL allow 1.5W on 6m amateur.

You really should put a different antenna on it, though.
VR2VIX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 12:25:52 AM »

I'd like to clarify that Asian Version comes with a 2-section antenna, but Tri-Band function.
(No 220Mhz band on asian version)
XU7ADQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 07:59:13 PM »

Re. The 'freeband' 6m mod on the VX-6R.
I live in SE Asia, and bought the rig new last week.
Out of the box, it is a TRIPLE band (50/144/430MHZ) rig, and, as stated in other posts, comes complete with the same 'top blob' antenna as my VX-7R (the 'top blob' is the screw-on top section for 6m)
After removing solder bridge No.4, it now TX's across a very wide range of frequencies, including 222 MHz.
A word of caution though!
If you accidentally (or otherwise) TX on a ridiculously high frequency (500MHz or so) or in the FM broadcast band, the radio shuts off immediatly!
It will then NOT POWER UP at all, until the DC adaptor/charger is attached!
I thought I'd killed the rig, and had to wait 8 hours until I got home to plug in the adaptor.
This 'shut down' also has the very strange effect of completely discharging the battery (any ideas?).
With regard to non filtering outside of the official bands, this is not a huge concern in Cambodia, where 147.000 MHz is the 'Icom' band (Cambodian CB!), and 7-7.100MHz is used by shop owners and others to talk to relatives around the country and in Vietnam.
You can even buy the Thai 245-246 MHz 5w FM CB HT's here for less than $50 (80 channel, maybe mod-able to 222 MHz?).
So, in summary, do the mod by all means, but be careful of TX on some frequencies.
And don't panic if your radio shuts down, just be prepared for a 2-3 wait for the radio to charge again.
I would welcome any ideas on why the battery would completely discharge so quickly.
Gud DX to all.
Paul XU7ADQ

VE8AA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 07:43:25 AM »

I'm a bit disgusted at the negativity surounding experimentation and modifications.  If the modified gear burns up and needs repair etc. then something is learned.  Those broken records that continually beat a dead horse REMINDING everyone it may be illegal to modify factory gear have made their point after the first person makes this point in a single post.  it is hardly necessary to beat the dead horse.  It is most anoying to have to surf through continual reminders about the legality.  Start up a new forum for the legality of modifications and post there so the rest of us can enjoy the comments from those doing mods and experimentation.

As I recall, one of the main ideas behind amateur radio is experimentation.  So long as the person doing the experimentation understands that there may be consequences, GO FOR IT!

Many commercial advancements in radio, started out through experimentation by amateurs.l
KO4TA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 11:21:58 AM »

Vx6 R  will not tune/receive 148.500.   I know that sounds odd.  But after doing the "freeband" mod I cannot get this radio to even tune/receive at the above frequency. It rolls around from 148.000 to 144.000 like it is in the ham mode.  I thought the radio even before the mod would receive only out of band.  

I reset the radio many times both ways.  ie... using band, hm/rv, internet key as well.  Still it will not transmit or receive out of band.  ODD Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance for any help.

73 Don Simpson de KO4TA
XU7ADQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 04:56:05 AM »

Well ok then - I bought this rig in Asia (Cambodia), and after mod, TX's with over 1 watt out through 220-230MHz, a drops off rapidly afer 230MHz.
Maybe the supplier sourced outside Asia?
Don't know, but doubtful.
And yes, as you correctly state, it comes with the two-section antenna for 50MHz.
So I do have a virtual quad-bander, with very acceptable tx/rx across all amateur frequencies, and MARS/CAP if required.
For information, the serial number is 71360***, if that helps anyone to find the version I have.
It's used on a daily basis at work (ATC) for monitoring airband frequencies (will tx too, but FM only!!), and the only problem I've had is water ingression via the label on the back (serial).
This was surprising for a 'submersible' HT, and caused the rx section to go deaf, until the verdigris was cleaned from the PCB!
The problem was emailed to Yaesu, who have not had the courtesy to reply.
So be careful of that flaw!
If anyone actually removes the case, check under the label and you'll find a hole (Barometer sensor leak-hole?).
My advice is, if you've removed the rear casing, slap some silicon sealant over the hole to be safe.
Otherwise, I'd buy again - better rx than my VX-7R, but lacking the 7r's features.
Have a gud 'un
Paul
18.151/14.200/28.490/51.110 and 118.300/124.300 at work!
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: