Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu sells time bombs !!! FT857 FT897 ....  (Read 18774 times)
ON7WP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 10:08:59 AM »

now when the tone changes back to normal I would like to add some more comments...

I do own more than 40 HF radios so I know what to compare...
The FT857, when working is a very nice radio.  I have two of them.  It works great in the car.  It works bad on my Mosley PRO67 beam due to overload, but the radio was never built for this.
I also have an IC706, also a great radio, but the menu structure is not so nice as with the yaesu.  No other comments.
I also have the IC-7000, a superb receiver, an operating systems that is even worse than the IC706 and a transmitter that is less good than the average President Lincoln CB rig.  It is NOT possible to set FM deviation, not in the normal menu not in the engineering menu.  The SSB sounds terrible, even with a modified micro (a shame you have to modify the mike with a 1300$ rig), due to bad ALC performance.

But the main difference and why I posted this tread is that the IC7000 neither the IC706 are self destructing...  The FT-857 and FT-897 are suicidal....

Look at the amount of posts of people looking for spare SRF finals.  They don't go dead without a reason.

So the bottom line of my discours: check the bias current of your rig, to trace down a possibility for a meltdown in the future.  Generally drivers are set too low, finals too high, resulting in rough modulation, like you get with RF feedback, and overheated radios.  You can do this with a 10$ wall mart multimeter or a 5000$ Rohde und Schwarz bench system.  But you do have to handle a screwdriver and open the radio, and most current hams can't handle this any more, they prefer bragging on forums instead insulting people like me that only want to warn for construction faults...

Pedro ON7WP
aa9hx@arrl.net

N7ZM

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2009, 02:47:30 PM »

Bought my FT-857 in 2003, still waiting for the time bomb to go off. Let me know when it's ok to come out of the bomb shelter?
K2YO

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2009, 09:06:07 AM »

Pedro,

Could you publish a procedure on how to check this? You said it's real simple, maybe a published how to will help people become comfortable in open up their radios and checking things out.

Bernie
ON7WP

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2009, 10:18:13 AM »

most info can be found on www.mods.dk

http://www.mods.dk/mod/yaesu/DG2IAQ_Modification_Sheet_YAESU_FT-897.pdf

page 7 is the important one, although I can also advice to perform, while the radio is opened, the flickering squelch mod that is very effective.

another article in the same directory www.mods.dk  contains excellent photos but suggests a way of adjusting the currents without measuring.  I would advice against this method, use the explaining pictures but do measure and adjust the recommended settings.

All non-beleivers will find out by measuring there is something very wrong...

I hope this ends this BOILING-HOT thread...
N4ABA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 06:06:25 AM »

"Time bombs?"  Misleading, but maybe a "2nd language" inadvertent overstatement. Technically Pedro is correct, some rigs are "out of range" on bias.

I've owned 5 of the 857 range units. Out of the 5, two were "out of range" and were tweaked into range with little problem (but didn't blow up, hi).  One (orig. 857) has over 250K mobile miles so far, no problems except for the "6M fix" from Yaesu.  I've also owned 706 series rigs and have seen similar problems...as well as the "infamous exploding caps" problem.  BOTH are decent little rigs, and, like all production items, will have variance in toleration (yup, was in a design/production environment for 15 yrs).  I have 6 other rigs (KW, Icom, etc) sitting here at present; I'm sure I can find faults with all of them.

If Pedro's "time bomb" comment bothers you, get on the Yaesu FT857 user's group and get the info on setting finals bias.  Set it up as desired...heck, then maybe you can get and wear a "Bomb Squad" T-shirt!!  

Yellow journalism does little except to incite to riot...whether by keyboard or in person.  Lets try to ponder the titles before posting...a solid informative post is much appreciated.  Oh, and a "$10 Wallmart (sic) DVM" (one's in the car's Emergency kit) is probably as good as what I started with 40+ years ago...for the bench, Tek/Fluke/HP are my choices.

73 de N4ABA
ON7WP

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 06:16:53 AM »

hmmm, third language in fact...

My mother tongue is Dutch, second language French, third English although I am trying to raise my 8 year old son bi-lingual Dutch-English....
(fourth german, fifth spanish, sixth Russian...)

Thanks for the support, at least you got the message,...

I used a 10$ "Wallmart" multimeter several times to repair >10.000 € (read >15.000 $) broadcast equipment.  Lucky I also had it in my car emergency kit.

Let's raise this thread to the 50+ replies...lol...
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 09:25:50 AM »

Your gratuitous insult to US amateurs does little
to enhance my impression of you.  The usefullness of your comments is far exceeded by the snarkeyness of your attitude.  Spare us both in the furure.
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2010, 09:46:17 PM »

Hey Pedro, I was a bit worried after reading your post, since I have TWO time bombs (ft897) in my house. I am wondering if my ft817nd could be the detonator which sets off the whole lot? So far they have all worked extremely well on all modes but then with bombs you never know. Any radio that survives being used by such a ham fisted operator as me, has to be one tough baby. These little gems may not be the sexiest radios on the planet ( I am not that way inclined ), but you can rely on them to keep going when the pretty boys are panting in the cafe with their latte's. I guess being time bombs that is why their owners keep them rather than ebay-ing them in droves like some un-named vendors gear.
I cant believe they would really explode, wait! whats that ticking ....73s
WA1UFO

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2010, 05:22:43 PM »

Well gentlemen! The next time Holland gets invaded by the Germans, all of us Yanks can stay home!  Whizz-Bang-Boom!!
ON7WP

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2010, 03:26:08 AM »

Indeed !  We all can see what a mess you made in Iraq and Afganistan.  You Yanks would better stay home at any time....
ON7WP

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2010, 03:35:13 AM »

Apart from all off-topic bullshit comments (including mine, I can never resist trowing back stones, especially at Americans LOL) it is a fact that these radios have serious TX IMD problems due to bad bias settings.  If you have access to a two tone generator and a spectrum analyser you can see for yourself.
Luckily most stages are set for a too low current, so no explosion danger, just a rough sounding modulations that gets better if you overdrive the radio.  The default seting of SSBMICGAIN=50 is far too much, I always suggest 20.
Only the VHF-UHF fet often is the one that has a too high setting, and this is the one that goes QRT.  Proof of this is the hundreds of ads on the web begging for a spare SRF7043 transistor.
Just type "FT857" and "SRF7043" in Google... and you get results in all major world languages complaining about defective finals... How much more proof do you need.  But yes, I've forgotten, the majority of readers of this posting are Americans ROFLOL...
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2010, 10:45:55 PM »

Hi Pedro,

Excuse me, I get confused easily, as I live in the wrong part of the world. I have put in your FT857 and SRF7043 google search and it came back with 35 hits.
Since I am lacking in mathematical skill (due to being in the wrong grid square), can you explain how 35 equals hundreds?
Also it seems a lot of these have to do with other transceivers.
I guess things have changed in the last few days?
I can get more than 35 hits by searching for dancing gay bears from Mars! (2.8 million hits).

Anyway, perhaps you can expose this mystery.
And perhaps you can also explain why this IMD/bias problem does not seem to show up on forums, when the 897/857 rigs have been out since adam was a boy?

If you are too busy saving the world (Holland superpower) just reply when you have time.
K4RSV

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2010, 10:35:19 PM »

Guys! give a rest. This has gone well beyond where it should. Those that are not having a problem, move on an read another post. You are happy, so stay happy. If you are having problems, check it out for yourself and then decide if the info has value. All my radios are GREAT until they break down. Then I look for help. This is a good place to start. You don't have to get wet or be a great swimmer to use this pool. If you don't feel comfortable with waters, continue to stay out of the deep end.
George K4RSV
AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2010, 11:02:18 AM »

Cool!  This is like the thread that will not DIE!

It's like the Wolf Man, The Blob, and Glen & Glenda, all rolled into one, Yippe!
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2010, 07:13:47 PM »

ON7WP  
"hmmm, third language in fact...

My mother tongue is Dutch, second language French, third English although I am trying to raise my 8 year old son bi-lingual Dutch-English....
(fourth german, fifth spanish, sixth Russian...)"

Very admirable goals, you are to be applauded.

I agree that Americans have made a mess of things in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Yet before bashing us all, please try to remember that were it not for our European intervention in WWII, most likely the ONLY language you would be speaking right now would be German.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: