Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RCI-2950 : beep on turning-on, but not working  (Read 4871 times)
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 01:17:20 PM »

"this is NOT the USW the United States Web, but it IS the WORLD WIDE WEB and there ARE people who actually live OUTSIDE the US who have every right to come to this site and ask a question."

While I am not a radio law expert, I know it's illegal in many places to DX on CB.

And it's certainly illegal worldwide, to use the frequencies in between the top of the ordinary CB channels and the bottom of 10m.

And no, I don't know if any poster in particular is working on "freeband" frequencies, but generally speaking, people working "DXCC" on "11m" and who have a RCI-2950 are doing something illegal.

I don't personally really give a damn as long as they stay below 28.000.

But there are CB/freeband forums where you can ask how to fix your CB/freeband radio, and this isn't one of 'em.

And the "the WWW is international" argument doesn't really fly, given that there's not much point to owning a RCI-2950 if you aren't going to hang out above and below the legal CB band and use modes and power output that are also possibly illegal.

So give it a rest.  

The major difference between ham radio and CB/freeband is whether or not the ham radio DX activities are, on average, legal while the CB/freeband ones are, on average, not ... that's not elitist, it's just something we prefer.  It's why we got our ham tickets and it's why we have our ham forums.

There are plenty of freeband forums and repair people out there.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
KG4ZVA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 06:42:07 PM »

"And the "the WWW is international" argument doesn't really fly, given that there's not much point to owning a RCI-2950 if you aren't going to hang out above and below the legal CB band and use modes and power output that are also possibly illegal. "
============================
not much point? it this not a 10-12 meter radio? of course not the best, but it IS made for it. could this radio not be used on 10 or even 12 meters by a responsible, well elmered ham radio operator? and please dont use the "export" excuse because we are NOT talking about American hams only.

OUR legality is not the issue, the fact is this IS the WORLD WIDE WEB (thus the www!) and there ARE people outside of THIS country who come to this site. they have nothing to do with our laws because our laws DO NOT APPLY to them. this site is well known for being a hub of valuable information and almost ANY (go ahead, try it!) search you do on ANY search engine on the internet will list this site.

now just suppose for an instant, a fellow in Italy or even Ugamba who knows nothing about this site, (possibly dont know anything about ham radio) but he is able to get a hold of some kind of radio and wants to try to find info on it. so this fellow gets on the web,( and remember not every country has internet access every where, so he might even have to wait a while until he can get to an internet access) and searches for this info. this site is listed among the results. so he checks out our web site here and sees reviews,forums,articles etc. and decides this looks like a great place to find what i'm looking for. so he posts a question to our forum of vast knowledge.

and does he get the info he is looking for? no, instead of meeting gentlemen of similar interests (rf?) who could not only point him in the right direction, but might also peak his interest enough to join the brotherhood, this is what he gets from our wonderful brotherhood of ham radio....

1)From your profile:

"almost 270 DXCC confirmed on 11metres"

DXCC doesn't recognize 11m contacts.
=======
2) Sounds like a personal problem
=========
3)No one bashed non-ham gear. The 2950 IS ham gear!!!

I only commented on a claim by the OP - to wit, he had DXCC on 11m. There is no such thing as 11m DXCC, unless he did it back before 11m was changed from a ham band to Citizens Band and that was about 50 years ago.

A true statement os NOT bashing.

Get your facts straight.

speaking of getting facts straight, 11m dxcc is recognized by dx groups all over the world. as well as many other awards for 11 meters. again OUR laws do not apply to people in other countries.
=========
and this one is my favorite...would you still be in ham radio if this is how the first elmer you found treated you?

4)I know what's wrong with this equipment.

But:

You're obviously not a Radio Amateur.

Plus

We are, most of us.

Plus

You intend on using the equipment in an illegal manor, and admit it via your profile.

Plus

If you can repair it yourself with some tutorial from me, you have the knowledge to pass a Technicians exam, at least, but choose not to.

Equals

No help from me.

To me, it's the same thing as showing up on 75M wanting a QSO from a licensed Amateur without being licensed yourself. You get told you're operating illegally and roundly ignored. I'm not trying to sound elitist, just telling you how I and most Amateurs feel about this.

=======================
its a shame really, way to lose us another one fellas. way to represent the hobby. and yes, i got to tell ya's, it DOES sound VERY elitist.

N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 10:05:49 PM »

"
speaking of getting facts straight, 11m dxcc is recognized by dx groups all over the world. as well as many other awards for 11 meters. again OUR laws do not apply to people in other countries"

I'm not talking about our laws.  It would appear that some of the most popular "11m" Dxing "channels" are in between the top of the legal US/Canadian/Australian/Indon10m ham band.

As far as I know there is no way in any ITU region to legally work DX in the range 27.500 to 28.000 MHz, and yet that is where a lot of the activity takes place.

And for at least several legal CB allocations worldwide, DX is not permitted.

From G4NSJ's site:

"It's always amazed me to think that the international CB community are so well organized. The international SSB calling frequency is 27.555mHz, and this works extremely well. "

If you'd like to point me to the specific governmental organizations that authorize hobbyists to use 27.555MHz, I'd be happy to know of them so I don't put my foot in my mouth in the future.

But I'm pretty damn sure it's illegal to be an unlicensed operator working DX on 27.555MHz no matter where you live, and I'm also pretty sure that the "meteorological aids, fixed, and mobile" services allowed to use that area of the spectrum are, by international treaty, licensed services.

DX groups are not governments.  And I'm quite sure that there are no laws allowing unlicensed operation over most of the range where a RCI-2950 operates.

And before you come back with "maybe this guy has a license," he doesn't have a callsign consistent with international callsign rules.

Again, there are international treaties about this.  

An interesting site for information is the website of the Indonesian CB organization, which is governmentally approved (but go find the freq. allocation!).  They have a list of "CB" callsigns:

http://www.idxc.org/callsign/index.php?cur_page=6&sort=id%20DESC

You'll notice the Indonesian ones all start with JZ, which is an official Indonesian radio prefix per the ITU.

You'll notice they don't start with their "country code" like the other "callsigns" do.

Now nothing I've said is strict proof of extralegal operation (for example, you get to pick your identifier in the legal CB bands in many places), so I don't expect you to be convinced, but I also don't care.

We can afford to be shunned by a few CB enthusiasts and freebanders.
esian/etc/etc/etc CB band and the bottom of the
Now look, Reg seems to be a nice, polite guy, seems to have a good looking antenna... and we share something in common... the fact that we like to DX.  But eHam just isn't a site for CB and freeband DXers, an activity which is largely extralegal anywhere on the globe.

It's certainly not legal to work 270 11m DXCC if 11m "DXCC" uses the same list of countries as ham DXCC.

By the time you delete all the EU CEPT CB participants and their overseas dependencies and the USA and all it's territories you're going to start really whittling down the list.

Plus, in France, where the original poster "originally" hails from by his profile and probably still hails from by his call prefix, CB's have to be approved and have power limits under that of a RCI-2950.

It's almost certainly an illegal rig there just like it is in the U.S.

And you certainly can't use a Kenwood TS-850 on the CB bands in France.

If you want to make points about us not being overly harsh with other radio enthusiasts, fine, but I'm not going to buy a vague "maybe the laws are different" argument.  

Dan

Dan

WZ9O

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 02:41:30 AM »

-That’s what is wrong with ham radio today. There are way too many "I’m Proud to be a CBer" people entering the ranks!!!!!
KG4ZVA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 08:53:44 AM »

-That’s what is wrong with ham radio today. There are way too many "I’m Proud to be a CBer" people entering the ranks!!!!!

=================
no, THIS is what is wrong with ham radio today.

and again, the whole point is totally missed in lou of arguing each little detail.

and for what its worth, i'm proud to be a ham radio operator. i'm proud to be part of something with such a rich and varied history. i'm proud to be in a hobby where i can work the latest digital technologies or work with and restore vintage equipment. i'm proud to have owned my Galaxy Mk V. oh wait! its a GALAXY! must be a CB! nice! 80-10 meter 200-300 watt tube cb, huh?
and yes i am still proud to be part of a hobby that once had another great tradition, this one called elmering. its a shame this tradition has not been upheld the way others have.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 03:31:51 PM »

"yes i am still proud to be part of a hobby that once had another great tradition, this one called elmering. its a shame this tradition has not been upheld the way others have."

Our original poster here has 270 "DXCC" on 11m, and according to his profile, he's about the same age as I am.  If 11m DXCC uses the same entities as means he at the very least was VERY active through the whole last sunspot peak.

He doesn't make any mention of wanting to get on the ham bands with his new radio, not to mention he apparently has a perfectly good ham rig (better than mine) if he wanted to get licensed.

eHam is not here to "elmer" people in their activities that involve breaking international radio law.

Like I said, I don't much care if people are freebanding, but I don't see why it's a failure of ham radio "elmering" to avoid helping someone who would seem to not be very interested in legal HF DX operations.

It would seem, in fact, that there is a Regis Bordet with a rather similar Delta-Alfa callsign who is actually kind of a famous 11m DXer:

http://www.delta-alfa.com/2009/03/

I'm not trying to be a hardass here, but I got my ham radio license because I believe that if you're going to use worldwide HF frequencies, you should do so with the approval of the appropriate international agencies.

I find it very unlikely that 14IR107 (probably also 14DA107) here is going to join the ham ranks.  He seems to have enough on his plate already, what with the DXpeditioning, etc.

It might not make sense to you, but I think we have to draw a line in the sand somewhere.  I left the CB band behind and became a ham because I got sick of the chaos.

It is not the same hobby, and eHam is a site for ham radio, not for freeband.

I occasionally do help out a CBer or freebander who comes in here.  But that doesn't mean I expect anyone else to do so, and to try to claim that anyone is failing as a mentor because they don't want to help CB/freeband guys is going to far.

Dan

Dan

KG4ZVA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 06:41:26 AM »

and you STILL want to argue over details? my god man, turn off the computer and get on the radio.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2009, 09:32:41 PM »

Well, that's one way to end it :-)

Dan

Dan

W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2009, 11:48:30 AM »

W3LK:I was just wondering where is a RCI-2950 ham gear? It may be in other countries but they are ILLEGAL for use in ANY band in the U.S.A. other than as a receiver with or without the 11 meter mod.10-4?

Clayton
W4KVW
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2009, 01:01:16 PM »

Sorry, Clayton, but you don't know what you are talking about. The 2950 is a perfectly legal 25w 10/12 meter radio.  I suggest you read the following web site.

http://www.rangerusa.com/rci-29dx.html

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2009, 03:05:42 PM »

RANGER RCI-2950 is on the FCC list of ILLEGAL RADIOS & are NOT authorized for SALE,MANUFACTURE,IMPORT,or USE in the U.S.A. along with MANY others Lou.SORRY the FCC does NOT know what THEY are talking about & I knew YOU know "EVERYTHING" no matter the topic from reading the postings on EVERY ham radio web site in the WORLD!YOU should join THE MESSIA & his cabinet & solve the WORLDS PROBLEMS! }:>)

Clayton
W4KVW
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2009, 03:16:29 PM »

Clayton, you really need to chill out.

I was apparently wrong on this point, but that radio was just added within the last 18 months. So I made a mistake and freely admit it.

It is really necessary for you to insult everyone who disagrees with you?

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2009, 04:07:45 PM »

Lou as I recall it was YOU who said the I did NOT know what I was talking about before you checked the FACTS! It takes a BIG MAN to ADMIT he's WRONG & I have been WRONG so many times in my life I would RATHER forget MOST of them. }:>)

Clayton
W4KVW
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2009, 05:12:17 PM »

Well, golly gee, Clayton. I'm busted.

Now go dump on someone who actually cares what you think. I certainly don't.

PULLRAFTT

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2009, 04:35:46 PM »

by W3LK on March 4, 2009  
"<<From your profile:

"almost 270 DXCC confirmed on 11metres"

DXCC doesn't recognize 11m contacts.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut ">>
-------------------------------
by PULLRAFTT

Lon you crack me up..are/were you a cop or something?

HAHAHA!!!

-zw
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: