Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YAESU SERVICE  (Read 12181 times)
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 04:00:44 PM »

Had a friend that sent a Yaesu FT917 (?) into Yaesu repair because someone plugged a morse key into the power accessory jack on the back and blew the unit.

Long story short--Yaesu claimed the rig was totally unrepairable and sent it back.  I opened the unit, replaced a blown trace on the circuit board, and the unit was back in service--and working OK.

Kinda strange that Yeasu missed something that obvious.

Just to let you know, unless you have a radio repair licence, this is illegal. If you do indeed have this licence, ignore this post.

Brandon, I think you had better reread the amateur regulations.  We're permitted to build our equipment, never mind simply repairing it--as long as we check it and make sure it works according to spec. or FCC regs.  Our equipment isn't meant to be used in the public service bands--but from what I've seen, there are hams repairing equipment that put some of those commercial repair techs to shame!

You haven't been a ham long, have you?  Perhaps you ought to learn a little more before offering such an erroneous reply again.  Remember that a amateur license is a license to learn--not a blanket certificate that says you know all there is to know about radios.  73!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 04:05:44 PM by K1CJS » Logged
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2014, 04:41:41 PM »

There is no such thing as a radio repair license. KE5TJT is most likely thinking of the old FCC commercial Radiotelephone/ CW license that was required to repair and test commercial radio equipment (think public radio stations). there  were three classes of this license. One was an operating license or class 3. It allowed for voice only, no repair or adjustment of the equipment (think disk jockey, news announcer, ship to shore radio operator). The class 2 allowed for the repair of commercial ship to shore radios. Aircraft radios. The first class FCC license allowed all repair and adjustment of any commercial equipment and with a RADAR endorsement, repair of all RADAR equipment. Radio repair of all commercial equipment was allowed by anyone as long as it was monitored and signed off by the appropriately licensed person. The person holding the license was responsible for the proper operation and repair of the equipment. If I remember correctly this license was done away with many years ago, and is no longer required for commercial repair.

A ham radio license allows for the repair, building, aligning and operation of any ham radio equipment. The Licensed operator is responsible for the proper operation of the equipment and the equipment meeting all FCC specifications.

One last thing anyone can repair any electronic equipment as long as the equipment does not transmit a signal that exceeds FCC limits ( think computers, table radios, ).

I hope this explanes the confusion that a license is needed to repair transmitting equipment of any kind. The only thing is that the owner of the repaired equipment is responsible for its operation, and could be fined by the FCC is the equipment is faulty.

73s

K2OWK   
K3LRH

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2014, 08:18:34 AM »

What is a radio repair license and who issues them???
[/quote]

It's called a "Special Dispensation License".......issued by the Pope.
WA4HBK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2014, 04:34:37 PM »

A Ham repairing his/her own radio does not need a license. At one time I don't know if it still required, repair of commercial equipment had to be by a 1st or 2nd class radiotelephone licensee.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2014, 04:52:23 AM »

A Ham repairing his/her own radio does not need a license....

Whoa!  Hold on...  They still 'need' a license--an AMATEUR license!   Grin  73!
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2014, 10:26:16 PM »

A Ham repairing his/her own radio does not need a license....

Whoa!  Hold on...  They still 'need' a license--an AMATEUR license!   Grin  73!

I believe anybody can repair an amateur radio even if they do not possess an amateur radio license.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2014, 06:03:24 AM »

Yeah, you're right, but you still need someone that has a ham license if any sort of testing involving the tramsmitter is done--even into a dummy load.  Or you risk getting yourself in hot water!  73!
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2014, 03:30:19 PM »

Yeah, you're right, but you still need someone that has a ham license if any sort of testing involving the tramsmitter is done--even into a dummy load.  Or you risk getting yourself in hot water!  73!

Are you certain you need an amateur radio license to transmit into a dummy load?  If there are no actual emissions I'm not sure that a license is required.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2014, 02:22:09 PM »

Are you certain you need an amateur radio license to transmit into a dummy load?  If there are no actual emissions I'm not sure that a license is required.

The problem is that there are always emissions, no matter if intended or not.  There have been cases where a ham has transmitted into a dummy load accidently--and had still reached their intended contact.   If you do key a transmitter without holding a ham license, you could well be liable for sanctions and fines from the FCC.  Sure, some people are going to say that it's one chance in a thousand or more, but with fines usually starting at $10,000 per violation, do you really want to take the chance? 

BTW, an incident like that could also prevent you from getting a ham license in the future.
KE5TJT

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2014, 09:36:30 PM »

Had a friend that sent a Yaesu FT917 (?) into Yaesu repair because someone plugged a morse key into the power accessory jack on the back and blew the unit.

Long story short--Yaesu claimed the rig was totally unrepairable and sent it back.  I opened the unit, replaced a blown trace on the circuit board, and the unit was back in service--and working OK.

Kinda strange that Yeasu missed something that obvious.

Just to let you know, unless you have a radio repair licence, this is illegal. If you do indeed have this licence, ignore this post.

Brandon, I think you had better reread the amateur regulations.  We're permitted to build our equipment, never mind simply repairing it--as long as we check it and make sure it works according to spec. or FCC regs.  Our equipment isn't meant to be used in the public service bands--but from what I've seen, there are hams repairing equipment that put some of those commercial repair techs to shame!

You haven't been a ham long, have you?  Perhaps you ought to learn a little more before offering such an erroneous reply again.  Remember that a amateur license is a license to learn--not a blanket certificate that says you know all there is to know about radios.  73!

I've been a HAM for 6 years now.

Well I was right, but for the wrong type of radio. I also operate marine radios, and for those, you DO have to have a commercial radiotelephone license. At the time I answered the question I had a marine radio apart in my lap, illegally, to try to fix it.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 09:38:37 PM by KE5TJT » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: