Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT-817  (Read 16201 times)

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2000, 12:55:33 AM »

Oops, for got to post, looking for the FT-817 mods for hours and days. Where are they?
KG4CHX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2000, 07:40:24 AM »

I have one and it is a great little radio.
I worked 25 countries with the great 10 meter opening on Thanksgiving day.
I also own an Elecraft K2, same reports from both using same power and antenna.
817 is a little power hungry and it lacks the built in ATU and some other niceties, but it is deffinetly more rugged than the K2 for backpacking.
817 goes thru alkaline batteries pretty quickly.
Nicad pack was not yey available.
Tim O'Rourke KG4CHX
KF6NPL

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2000, 09:37:37 PM »

Hey I get mine today, order to Las Veagas AEA and get it 7 days later, it works perfectly, I get 8 NIMH maha batteries this are 1550 mah and should last more than the NICAD Yaesu offer as an option, also the manual indicate that to charge the NICAD take 10 hours, and I have a little Fast Charge from MAHA that charge nimh in less than 2 hours, also it is a lot more economic than a nicad, this shoul cure a little power hungry radio Dan
N6NLX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2000, 02:59:00 PM »

I too did the green wire mod on the alkaline pack this week. Using the MAHA batteries and the charger from my VX5R (which is their recommended supply) I set it for 10 hour charge. It worked great!! No problems so far.

I still can't find the darned mods for it. I want my NOAA wx!!

73 de Don.
WD9CMS

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2000, 12:31:41 AM »

I have had the radio for about three week. The FT-817 is a radio which has surprised me both in performance and size. I have operated moible on 10 meters with a mag mount loaded quarter wave antenna and internal batteries with great contacts on SSB. I have been able to work several states mobile with 2.5 watts including W3EUH in Florida. Several countries in Europe and Asia including JA1CG in Japan. All from Los Alamos, New Mexico. I think the radio is a winner if you want a small all band radio.
KF6NPL

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2000, 12:05:35 AM »

Hey what is the green wire mod, I charge the nimh outside the radio, but I would love to charge the nimh batteries inside just like it was the NICAD from yaesu, help please... Dan  salesgrp@cpl.net
KB2ZZP

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2000, 09:10:56 PM »

I am of course very interested in the 817. Im new to QRP and have been reading some amazing posts about contacts. Are these contacts on CW or phone?

Are these contacts good luck? Or typical for QRP. When the band kicks up summer noise levels do I have to put the rig on the shelf till winter? Does QRP phobe pumch through the noise? Or are these - unusual - luck contacts?

I do lots of kayak and camping trips and this radio looks like a winner for me - I just dont know what to expect.

Finally hows the speaker? Does it have a decent audio output?

Many thanks
Tnic
N6NLX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2000, 10:50:34 PM »

Just remove the green wire from the battery pack connector and loop it back under the tape on the batt pack. Now you can charge your batteries in the radio. It works for me. I use the charger from my VX-5r and set the 817 for a 10 hour charge. I also run the 1500 MaHAs in mine.

Don.

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2000, 07:17:22 PM »

Pull the front panel, remove the solder jumper at location jp 4005. Looking down on the front panel, with the VFO knob just left of center. Look at the jumper locations just above the VFO knob on the ckt bd. Remove the solder jumper JP 4005. It is the 5th position from the left most pads counting left to right. Reassemble the radio, and reset the cpu by pressing VFO/MR and the "F" button and turn the radio on while holding the buttons down. This will extend the xmit freqs.

WARNING***Don't blame me if you destroy your radio by doing this. Do it at your own risk. I'm in the process of modding mine right now.

Good Luck
N3ZX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2000, 08:55:30 PM »

NO offense to the last entry but you were anonymous. Can anyone with a callsign verify this mod that was offered for extended frequencies?
(Just curious..just want to know for reference Smiley   )
              ..so the careful man said.
K1PC

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2000, 10:56:07 PM »

The mod described above (removing the solder from pad 5) only opens up the VHF and UHF bands for transmit.

To open up the HF bands, you must add solder to pads 1, 2, and 3, then reset the microprocessor.

If you'd like to get more information on this mod as it relates to the various releases of the radio (e.g. Japanese, European), check out egroups.com.  There is an FT-817 reflector that has been very active.

Paul, K1PC
N3GGR

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2001, 08:38:51 AM »

Mine is enroute.  In researching the whole battery thing, I've found 1100 mah NiMh battery packs (9.6) at Radio Shack as well as 1000 mah NiCd in about the $20 range.  Now all we have to do is find connectors and we should be good to go!

I don't quite understand the green wire mod, but assume the green wire prevents charging of alkaline batteries, and removing it allows anything in the tray to be charged.  I see where individuals have charged NiMh batteries by setting the timer to ten or eleven hours in the NiCd mode.  Is this safe? are the charging algorithms close enough that the batteries will safely charge? (Don't want to let the smoke out of it on first day!) Our friends at RS also have 1600 Mah NiMh in blister packs.

Also, check e-groups ft-817 page... lots on mods and photos!

K3FP

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2001, 05:44:27 AM »

RE: Green wire.

Can you charge while operating from ext. 13V supply??
I assueme one sets the charge time etc. Please post this clarification.. The manual is not clear on this subject!

Also does anyone have the RS Part # for rechargeables.

Tnx  Robin
VK2BMM

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2001, 11:36:45 AM »

The charging circuits appear to be on whenever the FT817 power is on (unlike the VX1-R !!! ).

--- In FT-817@egroups.com, michael.richter@t... wrote:
Looking at the Circuit Diagram, there are two constant-current charging circuits which are activated if there is NO D.C. on the Green wire.

There is a permanent 15mA trickle-charging circuit.

There is a 150mA charging circuit which is controlled by the Processor. Boost charging is started by pressing F key, turning SEL until CHG appears above A and pressing A. The length of time for this high-current charging is set from Menu #11. There is no monitoring of the charging current by the Processor so there is no smart charging ability.

Mike VK2BMM
VK2BMM

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2001, 12:05:00 PM »

Can someone confirm the actual FT817 Receive coverage, with or without mods.

The Texas Towers website says 0.1-56, 76-154, 420-470 MHz

The Yaesu Website says 0.1-30, 50-54, 76-154, 420-450 MHz

Mike VK2BMM
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: