Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT-817  (Read 16929 times)
VK2BMM

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2001, 05:54:50 AM »

Clinton

I don't owm an FT817 yet - but here are some answers from the Manual.

> First, is the optional filter a solder in type or
> does it use screws? How well does it perform, the 500
> hz CW filter that is? How is the stock filtering on
> CW, SSB, and AM?

It is plugged in using the pins on its mini-pcb to hold it - 4 at one end and 3 at the other.

> Does the radio use the stock SSB filter in the AM
> mode, like some of Yaesu's radios? If so, is there an
> optional filter for it?

The standard filters are for SSB, AM, FM, FM-narrow, FM-wideband. There is one slot for an optional filter.

Mike VK2BMM

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2001, 03:48:52 PM »

What are the useful Transmit (Power out at least 1 watt) ranges on all bands after changing the jumpers ?
VK2BMM

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2001, 11:05:42 PM »

I just noticed that the Receive Power Save - all Yaesu VHF/UHF handhelds for at least the last ten years have had Rx Power Save - why doesn't the FT 817 ?

Don't confuse Rx Power Save (Silently turns the Rx off for 9/10 second every second) with Automatic Power Off (Menu Item Cool

Don't the Yaesun HF designers talk to the VHF designers ?

The Power line is already switched by the Processor so no additional hardware would be needed.

In a Txvr promoted for Backpacking you would think that Yaesu would be able to include every bit of technology available to increase battery life.

Will the next version have Power Save and a Switching 6V/5V regulator to reduce Rx power on standby by half ?

The Transmitter also seems very inefficient - 25 Watts in for 5 Watts out. Most 100Watt sets need 16A - 200 watts in for 100 watts out.

Mike VK2BMM
K3FP

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2001, 08:07:44 AM »

OK I give up !!

I cannot find a reference to FST button on the mic.
What's it for, what's it do..

RJS
N3GGR

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2001, 08:28:14 AM »

Fast/slow tuning,  A little runner icon appears on the display when you use it.  Allows you to jump from freq to freq faster.

W1TMD
WA2PVK

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2001, 10:11:19 PM »

I went to Radio Shack and "found" a 9.6 volt / 1600 mAh battery pack (NiMH) designed for radio controlled vehicles.  The number is 23-331 and it fits perfectly into the battery compartment of the FT-817.  As far as a connector is concerned - - - I cut the wiring off the alkaline battery holder and used it with the new battery pack.  (isolate the green wire)  The price of a Yaesu 1000 Mah NiCd pack:  $60.00!  The price of the Radio Shack 1600 Mah NiMH pack: $24.95!  Need I say more???!!!
W2BYO

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2001, 08:22:58 PM »

Ok on using the 9.6v battery pack, 23-331. from Radio Shack.  You said you cut the connector off the AA battery holder and isolated the green wire.  What do you mean by "isolating" the green wire?  W2BYO/rjsteve@aol.com
W2BYO

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2001, 08:28:35 PM »

Where can I purchase one of the MALDOL telescoping HF antennas designed for the 817?  Just got off the phone with AES and HRO and the are out of stock.  W2BYO/rjsteve@aol.com
KA5S

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2001, 09:34:17 PM »

Although I didn't post that, removing the green wire disables the recharge inhibit. If what I see on e-groups is correct, expect to take a bit less than twice as long to recharge the RS pack.

Cortland
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: