Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile 1 watt qrp with Hamstick  (Read 1068 times)
KC8SLC

Ignore
« on: July 30, 2008, 12:02:52 PM »

Hello everyone. I'm thinking of operating mobile qrp while I'm on vacation with a hamstick. We're looking at 1 watt CW on 20 meters. Will I be able to make a few contacts with this setup? I'll be parked near a lakeshore and in the clear. Tim.
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 02:13:49 PM »

You can't trick me into making a promise I can't keep, but I'm willing to bet that if you can do it from home, you should be able to do it from the lake.

What might be fun is to take a telescoping crappie pole and run a full 16' vertical with a couple of 12' or longer radials and see what happens. Or use the crappie antenna as a director for the Hamstick, about 12' in front of it, and aim the system toward Europe or the Pacific. It might surprise you.
KF4KRV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 05:53:23 AM »

If you're going to be camping and will have a "homebase" to work from I would definitely recommend the crappie pole or a dipole/inverted-vee....inverted-vee just requires a single center support and two tie-off points at either end.

A hamstick with 1w will definitely pull you down into the QRPp range and lots of guys enjoy seeing what they can do with a fraction of a watt.  You may very well make contacts with the hamstick but I believe packing a simple wire antenna (whether dipole or crappie vertical) will increase your qrp enjoyment and satisfaction factor by MANY times.

If you're figuring on operating mobile while enroute to the lake then by all means try the hamstick on the way...then go to one of the others once at location.  Definitely don't forget the radials if you opt for the vertical.

Have fun!
Ed
KF4KRV
KF4KRV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 05:59:50 AM »

<chuckle>  I looked at your shack and I think you've got a good idea of what will work....is that a K3 sitting there with a ZM-2 up top?.  For 1w, what rig are you figuring on carrying with you?

Give us a rough time and freq that you think you'll be operating and I'll listen out for you.  Rough location would be good, too.

72/73,
Ed
KF4KRV
KC8SLC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 05:16:02 AM »

Hello again!! The rig in the pic is my IC718. Not sure on the exact time of my trip; probably early/middle of September. I have your call sign so I will look you up on QRZ for an e-mail; if I find one I'll send you one letting you know when I'm leaving just before the trip. The rig I will use is my Hendricks DC20A @ 1 watt. Thanks for the info guys. Tim.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 04:07:18 PM »

"What might be fun is to take a telescoping crappie pole and run a full 16' vertical with a couple of 12' or longer radials and see what happens"

Another good choice would  be an end fed half wave vertical on a 33' Jackite pole... then you don't really need much at all (or anything) for radials to have an efficient antenna.

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
AK2B

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 11:52:45 AM »

I would take all the antenna suggestions to heart. If you're using a rock bound DC20A on 14.060 you may become very frustrated. I built the DC20A and after a week of waiting around on the qrp calling freq I modified it to use the FCC-1/2 DDS vfo. Once I could move around, things picked up.
If I were you, I would program the keyer with a long cq and hope for the best. Good luck.
P.S.
I do use a KX-1 in my car with a Hamstick on a mobile mount and do make contacts when the band cooperates.
It can be done but requires a lot of patience (not to mention, a good location).

Tom, AK2B
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: