Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Comparison: TenTec 1340 kit vs MFJ 9040  (Read 4111 times)
VE3VVF

Ignore
« on: February 17, 2009, 04:25:50 PM »

I have been looking at the single band kits lately and was wondering if it is fair to compare the TenTec single band kit radio (1340) with the MFJ 40M kit (9040).  I have ordered the TenTec kit because it was only $99 and TenTec has such a good reputation.  I always hear so much negativity about MFJ.  Is it an apples to apples comparison or is the more expensive MFJ ($210) a better radio?
VE3GNU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 04:10:36 PM »

As an owner and operator of the TT 1340, I say you can't go wrong with this rig as it has to be the best 'bang for your buck' monobander. Just check Eham and read the 35 reviews---largely positive, and yes---Ten Tec is very responsive to any and all questions you may have.
BTW---You'll especially like the keying characteristics.
Sorry---Don't have any experience/knowledge of the MFJ, however.
Good Luck---
Ernie
N8RWB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 06:43:04 PM »

I've owned both a Ten Tec 1330 and an MFJ 9040.  To be honest, I didn't really care for either of them.  I am currently using an Oak Hills Research QRP Explorer II and love it.  It's an older rig, but the current OHR 100A appears to be similar.  Also, I don't beleive the 9040 comes in kit form, but the 9340 does.    
W5ESE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 07:11:50 AM »

> Is it an apples to apples comparison or is the more
> expensive MFJ ($210) a better radio?

The Ten-Tec is a kit, of course, whereas the MFJ is
available only in assembled form.

The MFJ uses an air variable capacitor with a
reduction drive and, which is costly, but provides
a linear tuning rate.

The Ten-Tec uses a varactor diode and variable
resistor to change the bias on the diode to vary
the VFO frequency, which is an inexpensive method
and allows them offer the product for the $99
price. The tuning rate is not linear, but is
very spread out on one end and bunched up on the
other.

That being said, I have 3 of the Ten-Tecs (80,
30, and 20 meters), and like them.

They are a little tricky to get working well.

Print out read through N5ESE's mods and fixes at:

http://www.io.com/~n5fc/tt13xx_mods.htm

and you'll wind up with a fun little radio at a
nice price.

Scott
W5ESE
WM8E

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 10:48:52 AM »

I own both kits.I have used the MFJ as a mobile with a hamstick and also camping with a dipole. I like it the best. The ten tec lacks a accurate dial for freq ,just random numbers you must write down on a card to know were you are. both drift a little when cold ,other than that both very good qrp rigs. WM8E Bill
N9GGE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 05:00:56 PM »

Someone has a MFJ 9040 listed on ebay. It looks like it has the newer style dial pointer which mean it's got an improved receiver. I already have a older one but I suspect this will go for around $120. Far less than a new one.
W8LV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 11:22:41 AM »

I own them both, and I like them both. I also use a Ten Tec Scout as my primary rig, and these two others as portables/backups.

Ten Tec has WONDERFUL customer service. However, in spite of what you may have heard about MFJ, they ALSO have very good customer service. At least, that's been MY experience with them! If MFJ makes a mistake, they DO make good on it. Martin is a very nice and fair guy--hope that you get to meet him some time! (AND...if you are ever in the market of an antenna analyzer AND SOME DAY YOU WILL BE, you might want the Mississippi Fine Job kind instead of one of those Floridian Howling Dogs.)

The MFJ 40 rig is built like a tank. I like how it fits all together with the tuner and the battery pack. I don't like the battery pack "itself" though, and generally use a separate 12 volt battery, one of those power packs like those next to the regular car batteries at WalMart. It just gives a longer life, is why I use that. (you always compromise between amp hours and weight, or course)..

The Ten Tec is lighter and smaller. easier to carry. I still use an MFJ mini tuner with it, though. Usually,
the Ten Tec wins out in the "I'm gonna throw it in my briefcase and take it with me on the trip" argument.

Whether you pick MFJ or Ten Tec, you can't go wrong. Honest Folks, and Fine radios from the Delta AND Dolly Parton Land. A tip of the W8LV Green Telegrapher's Visor to you AND them! Have fun!
K8JD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 08:24:17 AM »

I have the MFJ 9030 and like it very much. I also have two MFJ Cubs (80 and 40M)I built from the kits and I think they are electrically similar to the TenTec 1300's with the varactor/pot tuning etc... The Cub  is in a smaller package and will make a great backpacking rig. I can run all three from a 7 AH NiCd battery all day !

73...John
SKCC 1395T, FISTS 3853
Official US Taxpayer
K8JD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 08:31:53 AM »

For tuning my Cubs. I glued a white paper square cut from a file card beind the tuning knob  and after calibrating the range I wanted, made the freq marks with a sharpie pen on the card. A line every 10 kHz is good enough. I put little dots for SKCC and FISTs freqs and the QRP watering holes to help.
My big rig was all the test equipment I needed.

73...John
SKCC 1395T, FISTS 3853
Official US Taxpayer
EA5BLP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 03:26:37 AM »

Hello,
I have a ten tec 1330 kit and a MFJ 9420 , wich is the version with ssb of the only cw MFJ rigs series. As a kit the ten tec works fine, with a solid 3 watts output and good sensivity and selectivity. Beetween my qrp rigs is one of the best . But for portable operation I prefer the MFJ, wich has a better case and it´s more resistent if an accident occurs. My mfj can be adjusted up to 10 watts, although i use it at 5 watts. Here  is a video of the rig in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hliu_p3j6zg

Juan
EA5BLP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: