Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Launching a temproary wire up into the trees  (Read 11960 times)
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2011, 08:47:41 AM »

Quote from: N4ZAW
...The "shot line"  (fishing line) is tied securely to the shaft, just above the knock of the arrow, which is tipped with a bolt instead of a "tip". The shot line must be removed from the spool and laid-out on a board or other flat surface in a sequence of "rows"...

I used a .30 caliber bullet shell full of sand over the tip for weight and to make it blunt (or a bunch of nails taped
around the tip if I have to improvise.)  I drilled a hole though the arrow shaft just in front of the knock, then
passed a loop of fishing line though this and back over the arrow.  That makes it easy to remove the arrow without
having to untie anything.

I used to lay out a tarp to flake out the line, but now just flake it into a bucket instead.  That works at least
as well, if not better, takes up less space, and I can leave the line in the bucket between uses.  I tie the end
of the line to the bucket handle then just feed the line into the bucket, letting it lay however it does.  I've
never had a problem with it tangling.
AL7MM

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2011, 11:08:06 PM »

I have tried several methods, but the easiest that I have found is a HyperDog tennis ball slingshot with a close faced spinning reel.  The key is to put enough weight in the ball (I slit the ball open to add weight and also attached a loop of nylon cord).  If you don't put enough weight in, the bal tends to get hung up in the tree.  Too much weight and you won't be able to launch it high enough.

Mike, AL7MM
AB9TA

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2011, 08:07:47 PM »

I also use the Hyperdog slingshot, using a tennis ball is a whole lot safer than all the metal I've seen suggested here.. I'm leery of the compressed air launchers, I see a burst hazard with those things.. (PVC pipe tends to shatter into sharp, high velocity shards). Besides, I look a whole lot less harmless with a slingshot vs. an over-the-shoulder-tube-launcher.. My luck, I'd get called in as a crazy guy with a missle launcher..

73, and safe launching!
Bill, AB9TA
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: