The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best FREE Virtual Audio Cable for RCFORB/Digipan use?  (Read 57988 times)
W6TGE

Ignore
« on: July 04, 2016, 12:32:35 PM »

Hello ALL:

I have FLDIGI on an older system that I tried with RCFORB. My decodes of PSK31 were very noisy at best. I am told that I need VAC, but am not sure why if it decoded PSK31 at all.

Anyway, my new system has a working RCFORB, but I have not loaded Fldigi or Digipan.
So, what I am asking is do I need VAC and why?
If so, what is the best FREE VAC? I am using a 64 bit Windows 10 pro system.
The reason I want a good FREE 64 bit version is I just want to test it out for now, and I assume Digipan is also what I should use for PSK31 or should I install FLdigi?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 12:38:45 PM by W6TGE » Logged
KX3DX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 01:35:35 PM »

VB-Cable from VB-Audio
W6TGE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 01:48:34 PM »

I will look at VB-Cable...thank you. So, is the FREE 1 pair OK for rcv and xmt?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 02:10:55 PM by W6TGE » Logged
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 08:20:34 PM »

you need 2 VAC's for RCFORB... Instructions can be gotten on their website in the forum. Good luck, I went through absolute hell getting that stuff to work. Once I got it all up and running I never went back to it, some stuff just ain't worth the hassles.
W6TGE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 11:52:52 AM »

you need 2 VAC's for RCFORB... Instructions can be gotten on their website in the forum. Good luck, I went through absolute hell getting that stuff to work. Once I got it all up and running I never went back to it, some stuff just ain't worth the hassles.

Well, I am starting to think that you are correct...using a remote with digital modes will get anyone else wanting to use the remote mad as they can not listen to what is going on! On a few of the remotes I try there is always the same 1 or 2 guys using it almost all day long. Not sure why the owner does not say something.
What I do not understand about VAC is that I tried this once before without VAC and it seemed to work but the Print on PSK31 was very noisy...but it would not work at all if I needed VAC. So, am I missing something here?
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 08:32:44 PM »

It was a year back last time I looked at it. I don't see how it can work at all without VAC's. The problems I had were with com port selections, settings in the PSK decoding software and the VAC's.. all combined it was more than I wanted to deal with after awhile.

There are quite a few stations that use RCFORB but they are club stations apparently. From the app you can click and ask to join and get xmit privilege so I did that on a few of the stations and never got a reply. I guess clubs own the stations and only their actual, dues paying, physical members use the rigs. It's deceptive to have the website making it look like "hey, here's all these remote rigs for your use" because they aren't. You can listen on all of them though, not a bad deal for that.
W6TGE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 12:06:50 PM »

It was a year back last time I looked at it. I don't see how it can work at all without VAC's. The problems I had were with com port selections, settings in the PSK decoding software and the VAC's.. all combined it was more than I wanted to deal with after awhile.

There are quite a few stations that use RCFORB but they are club stations apparently. From the app you can click and ask to join and get xmit privilege so I did that on a few of the stations and never got a reply. I guess clubs own the stations and only their actual, dues paying, physical members use the rigs. It's deceptive to have the website making it look like "hey, here's all these remote rigs for your use" because they aren't. You can listen on all of them though, not a bad deal for that.

I have had no issues getting on some of the remote stations that gave me permission to xmt. As I said, there is at least 1 that has someone on there almost all day. Not sure why as it is kind of implied that you should share and if others connect and are listening at least ask if anyone wants to use the remote. However, MOST remote stations do not want you to use digital modes. I can fire up my other system that did work but with very bad PSK31 "print" to see what I had in the PSK software (fldigi I think) for the soundcard. I do not see that remote stations care if you receive Digital modes...they have an issue with xmt though.
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 04:15:13 PM »

I probably gave up too easily. I did find a couple of the rigs that I could xmit on actually, it just didn't seem like that much fun after awhile. I'm a member of a club now that remotes a rig with W4MQ software but they are having trouble with their internet. When we get that sorted out I'll probably do some remote qsoing... The setup with that software is extremely easy. I'm not clear on what RCFORB does that W4MQ doesn't...
W6TGE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 06:41:23 PM »

Well, I have been on a few remote sites. In fact today I worked pj2/w3hnk, but I must admit I feel that it is just not my station so I do not even care to get QSl's when I am on a remote site. My most fun was when I had my TS940 going into my R5 antenna with my SB220 when needed....for rag chews!
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2016, 05:52:27 PM »

Well, I have been on a few remote sites. In fact today I worked pj2/w3hnk, but I must admit I feel that it is just not my station so I do not even care to get QSl's when I am on a remote site. My most fun was when I had my TS940 going into my R5 antenna with my SB220 when needed....for rag chews!

It's kind of funny really, I've had some fair stations, multiband vertical and IC730 radio was probably the best but the most enjoyment I got was with my monoband 20 meter tubed ssb heathkit and a monoband inverted vee. The monoband antenna was the cure for my RFI problems in the neighborhood so that was good. Also it was relaxing in that I didn't have any choices in what to do on the air, I could rachew or I could turn it off so I had nice conversations on the high end of 20..
W6TGE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 12:36:14 PM »

I did the same but on 12,15 and 17 with my R5. SSb was fine for a rag chew!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: