The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF radio over the internet  (Read 879 times)
MUVR2007

Ignore
« on: January 17, 2018, 08:00:11 AM »

Hello all,

I'd like to know what's the cheapest way of using a HF radio that connects to the internet via WiFi so that I can hear what is receiving in another location. I have the space to erect an antenna in a house I can't spend much time so I'd really want to have the possibility of using the internet to listen at distance to that HF radio.
Guess that the HF radio can be as simple as a device with the standard RTL2832U chip since the antenna will be the most important factor for a good reception.

Thank you
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 06:31:46 PM »

You can simply remote log into the computer. I was happy with Splashtop running on an android tablet last time I did this.

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
MUVR2007

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 05:36:55 AM »

Do you mean having a tablet running the Splashtop app and connected via OTG to a USB dongle for HF receiving?
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 06:03:39 PM »

A tablet running Splashtop will connect to a windows computer over the internet. A computer running windows has remote login capabilities to do the same thing. Your dongle has to be plugged into a computer to even operate so you have a computer at the remote location and another computer at your home location, you remote login to the dongle's computer and you can hear the radio, operate the radio, etc...

AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 12:52:16 PM »

I recall that somebody recently recommended software called "nomachine" as being really good for remoting

KC6WGN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 02:29:44 PM »

California SDR & Arizona sdr
kc6wgn 73
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: