Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First today remote over internet but. . . .  (Read 6216 times)
N1EDU

Ignore
« on: March 19, 2008, 04:19:10 AM »

I'm glad to see this discussion forum topic - I haven't noticed it before. Any chance someone would post a simple verbal block diagram mostly about software choices?  Like, PC, interface, radio, software xxx for control, yyy for sound (net meeting or skype??? or none needed nowadays...) zzz for rotator/switching mgmt, etc.

I have just today completed my first remote conection over the internet, but I have sound card/PC issues still. No audio is coming over either remotely or out of PC into Rigblaster USB P&P. Same conditions exist within LAN operation and while sitting at the station PC.

I can read PSK31, but nothing keys rig (IC7000) or goes beyond my screen. I'll check more into details later, I just don't have time this week.  I fiddled with sound card settings briefly, but I'd get too much white on the blue waterfall, then a nice white pair when I tried to send, Rigblaster showed key, radio showed key, but nothing output.  Other modes independent of pc work fine on the radio, so I have some checking to do.  I could hear the tones in the headset attached to RBP&P.

I had similar situation using my LAN before I figured out all the port forwarding solutions. THose are all resolved.

Using W2K patched up to SP4, PC with Intel P3 500 & 256 meg ram, 8 gig drive, just enough to get by, & cable TV Broadband ethernet to Linksys router.

The PC has been the real trouble spot, and I might just try going back to mic and speakers to see if sound card handles that input correctly, then if all else fails, format, fdisk /complete install new.

I have no data on the machine, and drivers did not come with it. Free from a buddy - nice tiny Compaq form factor - case is the size of the mother board!

When I had my Laptop in the shack as the "host", it would work as expected with HR Deluxe.

No specific questions here, just pointing out my situation, looking for the obvious. Mostly the time to logically troubleshoot PC & rigblaster plug & play. - Even that didn't install smoothly. Had to manually install drivers, which makes me think there may be an o/s problem.

Do any of you use remote rotator control or antenna switching in your remote station operation? (Yaesu GS 800 SA)

Of course, with this radio remote from my house can be over the internet, or just bring it with me in the mobile ! Done that too, lots of fun working DX while mobile, busting a pile up.
Dave
N1EDU
NH  

KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 06:00:10 PM »

hi dave,

not sure of your model Compaq, take a look below
and see if you can d/l the drivers you need.

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html

or run windows update again with custom and see
what patches if any are found.

73 james
N1EDU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 04:15:25 AM »

It turns out, most of my issues were in the on-board sound card system.  I added an Ensoniq PCI sound blaster card and it works great.

I tried running the Rigblaster Plug & Play USB as an echolink node using my IC 7000 for vhf, but got continuous open squelch.  Further research and I found a ground line intentionally left off inside the rigblaster due to possible ground loops.  I soldiered (sp?) it on, and COS worked great on 2mtr FM for my echolink node.

Of course, there is now a ground loop on HF.

So, I'll have to decide if I want to try to fix it, unsoldier it, or add a 2nd unit & third audio card (just kidding).

Funny, the day I got it all working, I noticed on ARRL.ORG a how to using that very product.  The folk at Westmountain are pretty down to earth, and very helpful when I called them.  

Don't overlook the value of having a remote desktop service like VNC with an ip update client running.  Skype needs some overhead, too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: