Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Skype background noise canceller?  (Read 22910 times)
N3OX

Ignore
« on: April 26, 2009, 05:10:33 PM »

I'm playing around with remoting my station using Ham Radio Deluxe for the rig control and Skype for the audio.

Skype version is 4.0.0.226... current as of 4/27/09.

It works OK except that the background noise cancellation works to get rid of the background static, which, believe it or not, I do not want (fond of listening to weak signals in the noise and I'm pretty sure Skype won't manage to differentiate between pure noise and weak sigs)

Anyone come across and fix this problem?  There doesn't seem to be an option and don't seem to be any config files.

Maybe Skype is no longer the appropriate software solution for rig audio?

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
WB2LCW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 01:08:03 PM »

I have seen posts about a program called IPsound that some people have tried! Google for it !It may solve your problem.
mike
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 09:25:55 AM »

Yeah, I think that's the plan eventually.  Skype is set up to get through firewalls very easily, but I'll just set up a VPN probably, and should be good.

I've got VPN software on all my computers anyway, so that I can access my lab computers from home.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
N0YE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 06:27:28 PM »

The BARC club remote radio activity has had K0RZ and his remote station development as a mentor. One Thing Bill has found is that Skype version 2.5 sounds better for remote radio work than more current Skype versions.

You can get back issues of Skype from http://www.oldapps.com/skype.php

Give it a try and let us know if you find the older version serves you purposes better.

Don, N0YE
KA9CQL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 12:48:27 AM »

Greetings.

In the VoIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) world, the setting you are talking about is sometimes called "comfort noise", sometimes called "silence suppression".

Most VoIP clients (Skype is a VoIP client) have some settings that allow the substitution of silence (or near-silence) to save bandwidth.  Look for the keywords mentioned above, and you may find the settings you are looking for.

'73
- Mike S.
  KA9CQL
  Victorville, CA, USA
K5DN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 02:47:50 PM »

I have been experimenting with skype and have had no luck getting acceptable sound quality with CW.  Voice signals sound good.  I have tried the newest version as well as one of the 2.5xx versions.  The older one has a config file that can be edited to turn off agc and echo cancellation, but it does not seem to help.  Has anyone else solved this problem?

I also have IPsound running also, but am having trouble with serious pops and clicks.  A separate thread may be in order for this.
KE4ZHN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 02:50:36 PM »

Skype uses an automatic gain control on the microphone. Its a simple matter to disable this feature and set the gain at a fixed level. Check the tools, options menu under audio settings.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: