Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pirate Radio  (Read 1962 times)
G4EDY

Ignore
« on: August 19, 2005, 11:40:23 AM »

Hi everyone, I spend more time SWL than operating myself. I recently fired up my trusty RA17 and found that there is an extensive pirate network operating. Last night one of the operators obligingly gave out a list of calling frequencies over the air, they are as follows:-

86m band 3.470MHz
45m band 6.670MHz
20m band 13.970MHz
16m band 20.970MHz
11m band 27.970MHz

They use LSB on 86 and 45m and USB on the higher HF bands.

I logged a number of stations on the 45m band over the last two nights:-

GB21, BE01, M1, 14A, SP19 were all here in UK, DL15 in Germany, EI8 in Ireland  and a Dutch station.

They were mainly using FT1000MP's and FT847's, one operator claimed to have a beam for 11m, antennas were G5RV and verticals.

Have a listen, the operating procedures are informal, I have only heard activity on 6.670MHz, 6.675MHz and 6.655MHz. They call CQ on 6.670 and then QSY up or down in 5kHz steps.

The UK regulatory body, Ofcom, are aware of the situation but it is a low priority unless they cause interference, the 45m frequencies are in an Aeronautical band.

On the subject of pirates, there are a number of SW broadcast pirates operating, mainly at weekends, have a look at www.alfalima.net for information, I have logged a couple of stations in Europe.

It all makes for exciting listening, takes me back to my schollboy days of listening to Radio Caroline in the 1960's under the bed clothes with my home made 3 transistor radio!!!.

73s and keep watching the airwaves! Martin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: