Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hybrid Car Noise  (Read 1010 times)
K1KDX

Ignore
« on: July 21, 2005, 11:06:39 PM »

I'm about to buy a new hybrid car and wonder if anyone has any experience with RFI from the various motors/controllers in a hybrid.  I mostly use the 2 meter band, but I'm curious as to potential noise issues on all bands.

Thanks,

-Katie
KA0GKT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 10:56:15 AM »

I have wondered that myself.  Down through the years, I have silenced several vehicles to the point that the noise I heard on HF ws coming from the other cars and trucks around me, so whether I get a hybrid or not (I'm looking at the Ford Hybrid SUV with much interest right now), the kind of noise they produce interests me.

Now to your question.  Bring a hand held transceiver or a scanner with you.  If the unit has an S meter, this can be used to see the relative noise level change as the car goes through its machinations.  If the radio has an AM receive feature, you can switch to that mode and hear just what kind of noise it is, the pop-pop-pop of spark plug noise or the whine of an alternator or the staticy grind or a DC generator.  You should also be able to tell if the switching circuit for the traction motor(s) is making noise.

Take your HAM radio on a test drive!  Hmmm...Maybe I ought to copyright that! :-D

Ask the dealer about the installation of communications equipment in the vehicle.  The manufacturer ought to have some kind of service bulletin regarding communications equipment in that make and model.  I wouldn't mention HAM radio per se, after all, there are tons of businesses out there which use commercial 2-way radio, don't be too specific, if all you plan to operate is 2-meters, give a 30 to 500 MHz range as that will cover most of the VHF you may someday use in the car.

73 ES Let us know how the test drive goes.  I think hybrids are the wave of the future, and many of the circuits used in them would be duplicated in fuel cell cars, so we will probably be dealing with the new noise sources long into the future.

DE KA0GKT/7
KA5S

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 11:31:57 AM »

Don't have a hybrid myself, but I have heard 40 meter noise from a Prius. Sounded like motor PWM controller noise on the FT-817 "pedestrian mobile" hanging from my neck.

Cortland
KA5S
KA5S

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 12:10:16 PM »

AskJeeves(tm) (Google(tm) is NO LONGER our friend) finds some remarks on using an Amteur Radio in a hybrid car.

See
http://www.uk.amsat.org/ListArchives/amsat-bb/2004/msg00476.html

Cortland
KA5S
KC8ZRK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 10:47:54 AM »

I occasionally use my 2 Meter handheld w/external magmount in our 2005 Prius without problems, or reports of whine.

73 Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: