The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Verizon FiOS EMI/RFI to 80/40/20?  (Read 23057 times)
W6RMK

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2009, 09:20:50 PM »

I've had FiOS for 2 years now, and no RFI. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if there's an issue with the wired ethernet side.  Lots of routers/switches are pretty bad with noise radiated from the network cables (common mode) originating from the switching PS wallwart. Here, at least, Verizon supplies an Actiontec router/firewall/appliance that hangs off the ONT, powered by a small switcher wall-wart. (recently replaced by Verizon.. the new wall-wart showed up in the mail with instructions to replace it immediately for sort of vague reasons.. I didn't bother to inquire why).

There are LOTS of variations in installation of these things, by the way.  My ONT is in the telco cabinet on the side of the house, and the actiontec is is probably a meter away, as is the power supply for the ONT, all running off a dedicated branch circuit from the panel, which is right next to the the telco cabinet. All the wires are real short, both network and power. The installers told me that other folks in the tract, though, have had them put the ONT on the other side of the garage, and the router at the other end of the house, with many feet of power supply wiring, or network cables separating the boxes. That might account for some of the RFI issues.. Nothing like having the battery and charger 20 feet away from the ONT or routing a UTP network cable from the ONT to the router the length of the house.

I'd start with a stack of 2.4" toroids in 31 mix, and start choking all those cables.
NN3W

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2016, 09:55:01 AM »

Sorry to respond to a very old zombie thread, but I too have noticed my Verizon ONT box is creating hash - specifically at least on 12 meters.  I pulled the breakers on every circuit in my house this morning and noted that the hash disappeared.  One by one, I energized an individual circuit and found that its a basement circuit - pulled the cord on the Verizon ONT box, and sure enough the hash was found.  Appears to be either the cord itself or the power supply or battery charger.

I'll note that with the power off, the battery backup kicks in and there is no hash.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2016, 12:45:39 PM »

try a good ol' analog wall wart with the same ratings, polarity, and plug.  I have had a few switching wall warts that are quiet, but everything that is flat with a hump on one end seems to be a jamming appliance.  beyond that, lots 'o' ferrite.  that includes the wire out to the battery pack.  I haven't taken a call on the ONTs we use about noise, but then, there aren't that many discriminating radio folk in the subscriber base for the telco I work at.

// edit // you might want to sweep current loads on any alternate wall wart to check for reasonable regulation.  a chunk'o'junk that does NOT hold to something like a 20% maximum deviation from the nameplate voltage might wreck warranty on the ONT, meaning your next FiOS bill could be a doozy.  if it's truly in the 12 volt DC range, you might even consider something like an Astron 7-amp box for power.  one went for $20 at our hamfest over the weekend.  that goes for any analog wall wart, a fair number have no regulation.  I have not looked at ONT boards to see if they have incoming power regulation.  that's another department.

on the other hand, if it's spraying RFI, it is illegal.  they are supposed to be class-B.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 03:15:10 PM by KD0REQ » Logged
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2016, 12:49:04 PM »

I don't intend to do wireless networking; the house is wired for both Ethernet and telephones.

Main Amateur Radio interest is 80, 40 and 20 meters. They're noisy enough now!

Be aware that ethernet cat 5 will generate RFI in the ham bands.  What I found at my QTH (unshielded at 5 running all over the house)
freq MHz
   signal
 strength
   receive
mode
 10.121     S1     CW

14.029     S3     CW
 14.090     S2     CW
 14.151     S4     USB
 14.211     S4     USB
 14.273     S4     USB
 14.333     S4     USB

18.120     S1     USB

S4
    USB
 21.112     S4     USB
 21.171     S3     USB
 21.232     S1     USB
 21.293     S1     USB

24.898     S1     CW

28.012     S1
    CW
 28.104     S2     CW
 28.182     S1     CW
 28.243     S1     CW
 28.287     S1     CW
 28.317     S4     USB
 28.348     S4     USB
 28.377     S4     USB
 28.348     S4     USB

The area is  full of wifi networks, so my using wifi would make for slow Internet.

W2MV

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2016, 12:00:42 PM »

See my post from 2009. There is a way to "trick" the ONT to keep TV and internet running when powered by battery. I power off the ONT when operating 40 meters.

The noise seems to be coming from the charging circuitry.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: