Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RADIO SHACK sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 7850 times)
N7CHG

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2004, 09:53:42 PM »

I have a credit card with big VOID in signature block. I only use it at gas stations (the pump) and ATM machines , places where nobody will ask to see it.
KA2DDX

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2004, 07:52:00 PM »

I don't consider Radio Shack a ham radio store. I don't consider them an electronics store. Not when one end of the store is loaded up with remote control toys, and I'm not talking about Christmas time. Whatever they are, I wish them luck. If we don't like the hard sell they give us all the time, we are free to go elsewhere. That's the American way. In fact, quietly moving on to another dealer is often the best way to deal with this sort of thing. It really is too bad, but we don't have to be the losers. R.S. loses.
IMNOTHERE

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2004, 08:52:55 PM »

Making sure your credit card is safe is one of the best things you can do.  We do not use the signature on the back of the card as your ID, it should not be used as a primary source of ID.  Your DL or state issued or military ID should be checked each time you use your card.  When a customer doesn't sign the back of their cards I take it as a sign that they do not care about their credit card's safety and therefore do not check their ID.  This is not something I do, this is something I was actually taught!  Retail stores all over do this (although managers and up don't recommend practicing this) but it is something us regular sales associates do.  You don't care, we don't care.  Thats how we work.  So sign your card or your chances of it being used by someone it shouldn't goes up.  Your ID should also ALWAYS be checked.  If you're still paranoid, don't sign your card but write check ID instead.  I ALWAYS check ID when the card tells me to.  
IMNOTHERE

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2004, 09:07:20 PM »

Here are some things you may not have known about RadioShack.  I used to work at a corporate store in California so I know a lot about the company and how things work (or at least what they tell us).  Names and addresses were NEVER sold outside of the company. They were only used for your benefit so your could recieve all the latest sales information before it was advertised to the main public. Radioshack just figured that if you shopped there a lot you would like the fliers.  Also, you didn't EVER recieve a flier unless you were a frequent shopper or purchased a large ticket item.  If you went in one time and bought one fuse they wouldn't send it to you.  Also, it was voluntary, so if you didn't want to give it all you had to do was say no thanks and that was all.  I hated people that gave me stupid phony names and addresses.  They really only made themselves look dumb.  Also, SS #'s are illegal to write on checks.  If anyone ever asks for it you can turn them in. (FYI, if you write a check, your name and address is automatically put into the computer later on by a sales associate.  IT'S WRITTEN ON THE CHECK!!!) The main reason we did that was because we were pressured by the company to get as many N&A as possible.  Our monthly percentages were actually tracked and if we didn't have over a certain percentage we could get in trouble for it.  That's why I never cared even if I knew the N&A was fake because it gave me something to enter into the computer so my % would go up.  Many times if a customer said no thanks I entered in a fake one anyway.  I didn't want to have to listen to my boss drone on and on and on for hours telling me how to get my % to go up!
IT's the same thing with the bombarding you with trying to sell you crap we know you don't need or want. RadioShack has secret shoppers that actually come into the store about once a month.  If you don't go through their whole selling process while the secret shopper is there you can get fired. (to an extent, if you do most of it you won't) that's why.  I hated it too, one of the main reasons I left.  I was tired of constantly asking a customer with a brand new cell phone on his belt clip if he needed another one just so I wouldn't lose my job because I find out later on he was a secret shopper.  The benefits to working at RadoShack are great, even their part time employees can get paid vacations and medical benefits and so on.  But I'm happier now that I'm making just over minimum wage with no benefits because I enjoy what I do and not having to annoy every customer that walks in.
CRIMSONBEHELIT

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2004, 01:33:25 PM »

Well, yea. Radioshack sucks bigtime. I say that not only as a customer, but a employee as well. Most of the products are cheaply manufactured, yet, they are more expencive then their higher quality counterparts at other stores. But we have to smile and tell you it's the best deal in town. It makes me feel sleazy. The pay scale is ridculous. Most sales people at RS(depending on area) have a annual income that is almost EXACTLY at the poverty threshold "9k per year", yet the amount of work you have to do resembles a job that pays ATLEAST 20k per year. They pay people who's only job is to pack boxes in Fortworth TX more then the typical sale person. So if you get crappy service from Radioshack, it's probubly because you're dealing with someone who makes less money then someone working at Burger King. You've got questions, it doesn't mean you're going to like the answers.
K3CLT

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2004, 05:36:41 PM »

I have to agree that Radio Shack has made a turn in the road and has focused on high margin fast turn over items such as cell phones and computers. I really can't blame them for this because they would starve if they relied on ham radio and cb sales to keep the doors open. They can sell phones and computers to a much bigger customer base than they can do with two way radios.
As for the credit card issue. I too thought at one time that I was protecting myself by not signing the back of the card. But think of this, someone gets your unsigned card, and signs it and now the signature matches the customer signature on the sales slip everytime.
Radio SHack has a purpose in life, and they do fill our needs for the small parts for the kits we build. We could get these from mail order houses, but we would pay $2. shipping on a 25 cent part, and have to wait 3 days to get it.
Yes I wish they sold more radios, because it would be nice to go there and turn a few knobs but there is just not enough hams around to support that kind of operation.
The staff now is a different problem. I bought a 5 foot section of mast the other day, and I don't think the young lad really knew what he was looking for. Again, they put most of the effort to sell the phones and computers so they train their staff in that area.
Its not a perfect world, but they do fill a need for the hams and we would feel the loss if they were to close up shop. Lets just keep buying the big stuff from AES and the HRO's of the ham world so that they don't turn their interest to other things.
Just my thought on the subject....c
N9LYA

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2004, 12:56:58 PM »

They simply need to change their name.. Nothing they do today pertains to Radio or even remotely a Radio Shack.. I'll bet ya they would have no idea what a RADIO SHACK is..

I have visited the local Radio shack 11 Times last year on specific missions to obtain specific parts.. Mainly 8 pin Din plugs, 5 PIN Din Plugs and 4-8 Pins mic plugs.. Out of those 11 visits I made one purchase.. I was able to find a 4 pin mic plug.. They have YES put all parts in drawers.. But they do not keep them stoked.. They always tell me they can order whatever I need.. I always tell them I can to from Jameco.com and with the $6 USPS Priority shipping cost .. I can still by all the ietms I would need for a year and save bunches so that is what I do now.. About once a year I buy a list of parts from Jameco and know what I have had zero reasons to even stop into the lcoal Telephone Shack.. Oh that Rat Shack..

I have had emergeencies where I needed something and take the time to drive 50 miles to Bloomington and buy from Stansifer Radio.. ( They sell Electronics parts still )... And still save money even after buying the gas at $2.00 a gal...

73 Jerry N9LYA
N9LYA

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2004, 12:57:05 PM »

They simply need to change their name.. Nothing they do today pertains to Radio or even remotely a Radio Shack.. I'll bet ya they would have no idea what a RADIO SHACK is..

I have visited the local Radio shack 11 Times last year on specific missions to obtain specific parts.. Mainly 8 pin Din plugs, 5 PIN Din Plugs and 4-8 Pins mic plugs.. Out of those 11 visits I made one purchase.. I was able to find a 4 pin mic plug.. They have YES put all parts in drawers.. But they do not keep them stoked.. They always tell me they can order whatever I need.. I always tell them I can to from Jameco.com and with the $6 USPS Priority shipping cost .. I can still by all the ietms I would need for a year and save bunches so that is what I do now.. About once a year I buy a list of parts from Jameco and know what I have had zero reasons to even stop into the lcoal Telephone Shack.. Oh that Rat Shack..

I have had emergeencies where I needed something and take the time to drive 50 miles to Bloomington and buy from Stansifer Radio.. ( They sell Electronics parts still )... And still save money even after buying the gas at $2.00 a gal...

73 Jerry N9LYA
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2004, 12:11:01 PM »

I hate that thing where they have to get information from you before they complete the sale. I just stare at them and when they repeat their question I say "do you want the sale or not? It's all the same to me". Sometimes they actually want to argue but not too long, it is just so they can send out their flyers, the corporation is too cheap to develop mailing lists the way other stores do. I also pretty much do not like a single product they have there, I bought a ten meter rig from them but guess what, no PL so I can't work repeaters with it.

Back in the day there was one Radio Shack in this rural area and the owner was a rude, obnoxious, tyrant. I always wondered why his sign looked like somebody threw a brick through it, it was because somebody always threw a brick through it I guess, I was tempted to myself. The corporation bought him out, he was one of the last independents, he did not want to sell but after they opened 3 other stores in the area he had no business whatsoever and he gave up and sold the frachise back to them. I hope they gave him next to nothing for it, that would be some justice. I've had rude treatment from 2 different managers over the decades and have not been in there that much so I guess basically they suck. Nowadays it is easier and cheaper to dial up the Digikey or AES website and have stuff delivered than it is to drive to the Radio Shuck.

Max
AE6Y

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2004, 01:44:08 PM »

I really have to disagree with most of the posters.  I find it incredibly convenient to have local RS stores where I can pick up various kinds of cables, small tools, connectors and parts for projects.  The sales people at my local stores (San Jose, CA vicinity) are generally pleasant and helpful.  Their website is also very useful.  For example, I needed 12 small relays for a project.  Rather than going around to a bunch of stores that might stock three at a time, I ordered them from the web with no hassle (their web site also tells you which stores have specific items in current stock).  Radio Shack isn't perfect, but it sure is nice to have around.  It would be a real loss to hams if RS stores weren't there.
  73, Andy, AE6Y
W9WHE-II

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2004, 07:27:17 AM »

Keep bashing them and they might just decide to get out of the component business altogether!
KB9YGD

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2004, 07:43:49 AM »

Excellent Article.And Yes Radio Shack SUCKS... All They Want To Sell You Is Cellphones Or Audio Equipment And They Employ People That Are Dumber Than A Box Of Rocks!And Their Price`s Are Much To High.Radio Shack Is A Place That Is not Amature Radio Friendly & I Dont Go There For Any Reason Anymore.73,``THE REAL HAM``
GSWATH

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2004, 09:13:27 AM »

"I NEVER sign my cards because I wish that a potential future theif not have my exact signature, for my protection. I haven't a leg to stand on otherwise (hmmm, Mr. Granda this sure looks like YOUR signature!!!)."

thats a great way to protect your signature.  lets just say that you do misplace your card ans somwone picks it up and then conveiniently has a nice blank spot to sign your card and now the signature matches everytime.  not to mention the card is signed and i doubt any potential salesman will ask for ID.  i used to work for radio shack and the reason they have that rule is for both yours and their protection.  they dont want to get charged back and you dont want any false charges.  the real problem is it is not enforced %100 of the time so people like yourself get irate when they are "inconveinienced" by an extra step to make sure your purchases are not fraud.  small charges are not usually questioned because unfortunately they are not viewed as a problem if any fraud arrises however if a store gets a chargeback for, for example, a $200 shortwave radio, then this a big problem because that hits the profit level hard and affects the salespersons commision as well as the managers and district managers bonus.  now i have no love for radio shack, as a matter of fact i'm involved in their class action lawsuit, but i know that because i have written CID and signed my card that i have gone 10 years without any fraud activity on my account.  So the next time you feel like disregarding the credit card banks policy and then getting angry because the rules are being enforced, think about the fact they are ultimately looking out for you.

GSWATH

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2004, 09:37:20 AM »

as a former RS employee and manager all i can say is AMEN BROTHER!!!!!!!!!  i never worried about losing business by the 15 or 20 irate customers i "produced" because that number is over a 12 year period.  the praise and well dones and customer service email's i recieved told me that these people were just plain assholes.  seriously how many people fix shit themselves anymore, thus the reduced parts line.  i had many parts in my store that the packaging had yellowed on they were there so long.  its never kids or even people under about 30 who complain that radio shack's product line sucks.  its a generation away that bitches and moans.  suck it up and buy something new, i'll bet if you have a problem the radio shack employee can help you with the operation of your new product with no problem.  jsut do them one favour, if you have any problems, read the manual before you jump into a store and bitch about how you cant get the product to work(no one reads the manuals anymore either).

greg
X-DMMANAGER

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2004, 06:09:18 PM »

As an x-dm for RadioShack I can tell you that they do not care about the signiture on your cards for your protection.  RadioSack looses Millions of dollars a year to credit cards.  Radio shack is getting away from what they have been known for Parts & Accesories becaouse they need to make the money on the Cell phones and dish sells, Radio Shack makes over 50% of there cash growth from the kick backs from Verizson, Sprint, Altell, Cengullar and others.  All you Hamers out there need to start looking for a new place to shop!  I will not step inside a Radio Shack because I will only get help if I would like to buy a new cell phone or dish!!!   It has become sad that Radio Shack has allowed this to happen to them.  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: