Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: doplar shift on uplink  (Read 640 times)
KC9ERZ

Ignore
« on: August 30, 2009, 01:32:32 PM »

I am fairly new to working the FM LEO Sats.  I have no problem getting into AO51 with a fixed uplink freq of 145.920.  But on AO27 and SO50 I have a hard time.  Do I need to compensate for doplar shift on the uplink to AO27 and SO50?  Also I know that SO50 requires a PL tone of 67.  What kind of tone is this?

Thanks,
Greg
KC9ERZ
KO4MA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 06:58:22 AM »

There isn\'t any need to tune for doppler on the 2m uplink on any of the FM satellites. The PL tone on SO-50 is the same type of tone as used for regular terrestrial repeaters, also called CTCSS. On SO-50 it\'s used to key the transmitter on and off.

Also, remember AO-27 is only on for part of the afternoon passes. Just wanted to be sure you knew that ;-)

If you are using a handheld antenna like an Arrow, try twisting it to change the polarity while uplinking. This can make a big difference depending on the satellite orientation since the receive antenna on the satellite is a linearly polarized whip.

73, Drew KO4MA
KC9ERZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 07:49:33 AM »

Thanks for the info on the uplink....and sorry for the typo (should have typed doppler, not doplar)!

Greg
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 08:51:42 AM »

Normally you leave transmit frequency alone and vary your receive frequency for doppler.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: