Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reviews section  (Read 1909 times)
N0RKX

Ignore
« on: April 23, 2000, 08:08:36 PM »

I do have one little sniggeling complaint. It seems one of your advertisers has comandeered the reviews section for advertising purposes. W7RF has posted reviews on several Henry amps. While I have no doubt that the Henry amps are fine pieces of gear, I think it's an inappropriate use of the review section. Reviews should be by users of the products, giving their opinions on the gear, not as advertising space by someone with a pecuinary interest.

My .02

73's, N0RKX

N0RKX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2000, 07:14:51 PM »

Sounds good to me Bill.
I'm just used to how they do it on Computer BBS's.

73's, Kevin

AE6Y

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2000, 06:10:28 PM »

One other minor quibble with some reviews:
  Another kind of review that I would like to discourage is the one that gives a 5-star rating and says, in effect, "I just sent off for my new [Whizzbang Radio].  I'll post a review after I get it."
  This isn't helpful, since it isn't based on actual experience, and tends to distort the ratings.
W4AN
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2000, 04:45:44 PM »

I happen to agree with you mostly.  I think it is fine for a manufacturer to add the first review for a product and give it a 5-star rating.  They should feel good about their products and can give a lot of good information.  

The thing that I disagree with is having a web site link in a review that says in so many words "Buy it here".  These types of Review postings will not fly.  We will either remove them completely or edit the review and take out the commercial sales pitch from the review.  

Does that sound reasonable?

Bill
K0SR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2000, 07:31:19 AM »

Bill,

I agree that the review should reflect an individuals impressions of a piece of gear, QSLs, etc. and not be used to advertize.  However, if the manufacturer does have a website it might be useful to include that in the review. For example, someone reviews a piece of equipment you are unfamiliar with, and would like to see more about it.  What it costs, how big it is, what it looks like, etc.  It would be handy to read the review and then jump over to the manufacturer's site to get more information.  

Thanks !

Steve K0SR
WA4SE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2000, 09:03:03 PM »

Sometimes, a person will comment in a review about his or her station set-up.  For example, "I enjoy the Hamstick and mount it on a push-up pole in the backyard."  If I have a specific question for that individual about his station, it would be neat to have a "Reply by E-mail" link so I didn't have to muck up the message board inquiring about his set-up.  

Often, eHam.com users have not updated their profiles, so it is impossible to find the info there.

Just a thought!  The site is amazing!  I have passed it along to ham family and friends.

Scott - WA4SE
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2000, 09:23:16 AM »

WA4SE wrote:
<<
it would be neat to have a "Reply by E-mail" link so I didn't have to muck up the message board inquiring about his set-up.

Often, eHam.com users have not updated their profiles, so it is impossible to find the info there.
>>

I agree with the concept in general and will enter this as a suggestion for a future enhancement.  Several issues occur to me however...

1) Many users do not enter an email address into their profile at all. (It's not a requirement)

2) If the email address in the profile is not up to date, then a "reply" would be useless.  You'd just be replying to that "bad" address.

Tnx
Mike
N2MG
N0HR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2000, 10:27:39 AM »

I would like to see the reviews section modified such that to prevent artificially inflating scores. How? One ham, One vote. That is, if I post a review saying "I liked product X's ability to do Y & Z but I hated it's lack of A & B... Score=2.", then a week later, I discover in the manual that it actually does "A & B" (or a new version comes out, or I find something horribly wrong, or whatever,...) I'd like to change my vote.

With the current system, there is no review "change". One simply adds another review (which distorts the avg score). For example, there are products which have reviews along the lines of:
1) Has anyone tried this yet? - XX2ABC (5/5)
2) I just ordered mine, I'll let you know - ZZ1ABC (5/5)
3) Had it up a week now, was only missing a floppy disk and a lock-nut. First QSO was with a JA. - ZZ1ABC (5/5)
4) This is my first rig ever, so I don't have anything to compare it to - but I'll give it a 5. QQ3QQQ (5/5)
5) I did a thorough analysis of this product as I've had many competitors over the years. I've found the following flaws...  A11HAM (3/5)

It's easy to see that the product with the most inexperienced, easy-going, non-critical, hams will have the highest average score (making it worthless). To correct this, I'd propose the following:

1) One ham, one vote. A ham could change a review, but not add another. At least, don't let them add another review that's scored.
2) Make voting optional. That is, people seem to be using these "product reviews" as "product forums." I know that wasn't the original intent, but I don't see how you can stop it now. A possible remedy is to make scoring optional. I don't know how to enforce this really. You could add a pop-up or confirmation window that says in big letters (don't assign a score to this product unless you really know it and can provide a meaningful score).

Pat, NØHR
N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2001, 12:21:22 PM »

For what it is worth, I have given many reviews as I have owned many transceivers. I rate a transceiver relative to other manufactures in same market such as a IC-746 to a FT-920 and score the results. I would not rate a IC-706 against a FT-1000MP Mark 5 as the IC-706 would end up with a three (3), for example. At times I will make a reference to another simular radio. I believe the 'simular to another manufacture' to be the most informative. Should eham explain this first?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: