Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Topic expiration  (Read 1263 times)
AA4PB

Ignore
« on: March 21, 2009, 08:59:39 AM »

How about having topics expire after some period of time or if possible, some period of time without a response post. Once expired you read it but you couldn't post a response. That would prevent really old stuff from "bubbling" back to the top.

I'd suggest expiring after 30 days with no posting activity.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 12:17:56 PM »

One recent "old thread" was added to by the original poster, over a year after the last post. He had posed a particularly elusive problem that no one could help him with. He returned to post the solution, bring a fitting addition to the thread.

A 30-day closure would have prevented this - or cause a totally new thread.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 11:38:26 PM »

Yes, I am not surprised to have some new issue come up after changing the way things sort.  In the past when folks added some response to an old post it would just stay down the list. That is not the case now.  I am not sure one is better than the other just different.  

We are still looking at other ways to improve the forums
so you may see some other changes and tweaks as we move forward.  

George

George
K5TR
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 07:21:38 AM »

I much prefer the new arrangement.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 07:23:14 AM »

PS ...

Virtually every other site handles threads this way. Origination date is not taken into consideration, just the last posting date.

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 08:03:02 AM »

I really prefer the new way to the old way, too. I just through out the idea as a way to perhaps satisfy those who are complaining about the really old stuff reappearing. As in Lon's example there are times when this is a good thing but there are also times when a post is added to a really old post and it doesn't really add anything.

Keep up the good work.
K0BT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 06:20:07 PM »

This is being exploited right now over in the Stolen Gear forum. One member is trying to bury a recent thread by bringing back old postings, adding comments such as "OK". It seems like an effective tactic - at least until someone replies to the buried thread. The current battle may serve as an argument for closing older threads. This technique can ruin the relevance of any forum.
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 12:05:57 AM »

Bill,

What posts are you talking about?

As far as I know you have not contacted me on this
subject and I am pretty sure you have my email address
since we have exchanged emails over the years.

Thanks

George
geoiii@eham.net

George
K5TR
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 04:04:19 AM »

Antenna Restrictions has one going from 2003. I'm getting to the point of losing interest.

73 de Lindy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: