The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood- No new HF transceivers  (Read 8324 times)
VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2018, 11:39:41 AM »

I hope Kenwood comes out with some kind of new generation radio soon to update the TS-2000.  I have the "X" version with 1200 MHz, made in 2005 and I bought it new, still works well.  I have had it portable, mini-expeditions as carry-on luggage, no real wear or damage to speak of.

The receiver is a bit noisier than others on HF and it's overkill for operating FM on 2 and 70, but the operating features are useful. It can do full duplex on VHF/UHF and satellites, and the radio is an all-round great deal for a shack in a box. 

The TS-2000 design is almost 20 years old I guess, so hopefully there is something new on the drawing board.  It is, after all, eHam's most reviewed radio of all time.

73, Ed VE3WGO
WA7SGS

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2018, 07:31:54 PM »

I'd like to see a 200W version of the TS940. But make it look like the 940, analog meter and all. Not like that microwave oven TS990.

I agree wholeheartedly!  If auto manufacturers can cash in on retro, why not a radio manufacturer?  The 930/940 transceivers looked so good and performed well.  Add in some updates while keeping the knobs and buttons analog style would appeal to many amateur radio operators. 

Rick
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2018, 07:50:16 PM »

I'd like to see a 200W version of the TS940. But make it look like the 940, analog meter and all. Not like that microwave oven TS990.

I agree wholeheartedly!  If auto manufacturers can cash in on retro, why not a radio manufacturer?  The 930/940 transceivers looked so good and performed well.  Add in some updates while keeping the knobs and buttons analog style would appeal to many amateur radio operators. 

Rick

Well they have to have meter made/modified based on whats available and those meters are getting rare today and pricey as digital meters have replaced them. I do agree there is something graceful about the dance of a old style meter but chances of a comeback is slim to none. 

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
AJ4WC

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2018, 09:05:56 PM »

[/quote]

Kenwoods radio focus (and what butters their bread) is land mobile/business band radios. They pretty much own that market. Ham gear is a smaller market for them today and they do not focus on it like they did 20 years ago
[/quote]

Kenwood is a small player in the commercial LMR market as well. Project 25, is forcing a lot of the smaller LMR companies out. The opposite affect of what was intended, because these smaller companies aren't competitive in the larger P-25 market. 
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2018, 05:10:01 PM »

Kenwood is a small player in the commercial LMR market as well.

I would not say so. Pretty much every big store are here uses Kenwood HT's and watch what you see used in some movies.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2018, 05:43:42 PM »

Kenwood is a small player in the commercial LMR market as well. Project 25, is forcing a lot of the smaller LMR companies out. The opposite affect of what was intended, because these smaller companies aren't competitive in the larger P-25 market. 

Doesn't look like they're being "forced out" ---
http://www.kenwood.com/ca/com/lmr/project25_radios.html
 Wink
AJ4WC

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2018, 11:14:50 PM »

Wink

That's a nice website, but a comparison of annual sales stats of the big LMR companies would be more interesting. Grin  BTW, I don't have those number either. But, the big players in LMR are selling medium/large trunked radio systems and the many thousands of portable and mobile radios that go with them. That's where the money is. If you aren't in that market, then your relegated to trying to get smaller conventional systems upgraded to digital. There's not a lot of benefit to that and there's also not a lot of money. A lot of the smaller agencies only upgraded to P-25 so they could continue to be eligible for federal grants. Since that's the reason they upgraded, there's not as much interest in pursuing upgrades now that the money has run out. I'm not saying Kenwood is going out of business; I'm just saying they don't have the LMR market cornered by any measure.

KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2018, 03:14:12 PM »

Wink

That's a nice website, but a comparison of annual sales stats of the big LMR companies would be more interesting. Grin  ...  I'm not saying Kenwood is going out of business; I'm just saying they don't have the LMR market cornered by any measure.

No, they surely "don't have the LMR market cornered" but a quick on-line search found these articles listing JVCKenwood as one of the Top Six LMR Vendors:

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170329005277/en/Top-6-Vendors-Global-Land-Mobile-Radio

https://prwire.com.au/pr/67429/land-mobile-radio-market-by-top-key-vendors-trends-sales-supply-demand-analysis-amp-forecasts-to-2021

Small player??  Huh

W4FID

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Yesterday at 02:42:53 AM »

I had a TS-50. It was "old, tired, obsolete" But it was great. I had another brand HF mobile. It was "new, modern, up to date". I got rid of it and found another TS-50. Their stuff is solid and durable and stands the test of time. How many TS-520s, TS-120s, TS-440s are still being used and enjoyed! I am fine with considering new features and up to date technology. But I am also fine with enjoying what works and has proven itself. I will continue to consider Kenwood as a top tier company and continue to enjoy their gear. Better proven and long useful life than a constant stream of bells and whistles.
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Yesterday at 04:34:55 AM »

FID,  I know exactly what you mean. I have a TS 570 DG which is my only HF radio, bought it new 17 years ago and it is still going strong. Never had a problem with it at all in all of those years. Kenwood is very, very reliable for me.  Jim W5JJG. 73
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: