The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Future of the IC-9100  (Read 1345 times)
N3OP

Ignore
« on: February 13, 2017, 07:02:57 PM »

I was wondering if anyone heard any rumors about a replacement for the IC-9100?  With the recent success of the IC-7300, it would be nice to see an IC-9150 using SDR and with a panadapter.

Thanks

Reggie
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 01:17:01 PM »

Hi Reggie, I haven't heard that rumor, but I do have a 7610 on pre-order.
The Icom 7300 I have has been so much fun, I ordered the 7610, because I like larger radio.
The Icom Yahoo group Moderators have explained to the folks that due to current hardware, it's impractical to build a SDR for 2 Meters and up. The 9100 replacement (in the near future) would have to be current down conversion of VHF/UHF techniques, fed into an SDR. I thought about the 9100, but once you use a color display, and 'scope', it's tough to go back. ha ha
I have a lot of Icoms, including a 765PRO that I bought in Tokyo the week it was announced. The display on the 7300 makes the PRO seem like a Heathkit.
I would love to see a 7610 that would cover 2/432. That way, I could remove the 271 and 471 from my desk. Maybe the 7710?? Yes, the competition makes 'all band' radios, but they are not SDRs. Even my 706g is a 'DC to Daylight' radio......
Interesting times ahead.

ron
N4UE
N3OP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 06:39:13 PM »

Ron,

Thanks for the reply.  I understand the BIGGGGGGGGG difference in the color screen versus the monochrome screen.  I used to have a 756pro2, and I thought it was good until I got the Flex 5000.  Now I have the Flex 6500, and the screen is amazing.  Too bad ICOM did not add an output to connect a panadapter to the 9100 and an option to change the display color on it.

Reggie
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 02:58:33 PM »

It may be a while before we see V/U SDR radios.  The high speed processors needed are state of the art and very expensive and few in choices.

The best bet, and relatively inexpensive is to use individual transverters for VHF and UHF feeding an HF SDR radio.  You have all the SDR functions, displays, etc.   Transverters have been preferred by 50Mhz+ afficionados and EME'ers for decades.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 03:10:54 PM by KB4QAA » Logged
K6JH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 06:14:40 PM »

It may be a while before we see V/U SDR radios.  The high speed processors needed are state of the art and very expensive and few in choices.

The best bet, and relatively inexpensive is to use individual transverters for VHF and UHF feeding an HF SDR radio.  You have all the SDR functions, displays, etc.   Transverters have been preferred by 50Mhz+ afficionados and EME'ers for decades.

Actually SDR is pretty easy. Just bandpass the V or U signal and undersample at your HF sampling rate. You don't need a high sample rate 1GHz wide waterfall, just wide enough for the band of interest.

In fact SDR is used for moonbounce and CP antennas, where MAP65 software can determine the best polarization angle automatically.
https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/map65.html

Jim K6JH
N3OP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 12:04:36 PM »

It may be a while before we see V/U SDR radios.  The high speed processors needed are state of the art and very expensive and few in choices.

The best bet, and relatively inexpensive is to use individual transverters for VHF and UHF feeding an HF SDR radio.  You have all the SDR functions, displays, etc.   Transverters have been preferred by 50Mhz+ afficionados and EME'ers for decades.

I noticed that the new R8600 wideband receiver that ICOM will release this year is SDR.

Reggie
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 07:30:38 PM »

I also have pre ordered an IC-7610.   I have the IC-7300 and I love it. 
One thing that troubles me is only one VFO knob on the 7610.  Two receivers with separate
rf/audio controls but where is the second VFO knob.  I like being able to work split DX with
the DX station in one earphone and the pileup in the other,  kinda spoiled with my Elecraft K3.
I hope we don't have to click back and forth for the VFO's  Angry

Bob
K6UJ
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Today at 06:17:05 AM »

One thing that troubles me is only one VFO knob on the 7610.  Two receivers with separate
rf/audio controls but where is the second VFO knob.  I like being able to work split DX with
the DX station in one earphone and the pileup in the other,  kinda spoiled with my Elecraft K3.

Bob
K6UJ

There are not two receivers. It's an improved version of (the 7600's) Dual Watch. Two audio controls instead of "Balance". Two panadapter/waterfalls to "see" the two frequencies. Both frequency's audio will be in L/R earpieces simultaneously.
WC4R

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Today at 06:29:40 AM »

V/UHF on an SDR has been around for years. I have the Flex 5000A with ATU, 2nd RX, 2 meters and 440 installed. 60 watts on V/UHF. Technically they are transverters but it is totally transparent to the operator. One simple, clean box.
Want the best 'screen'? Go with the Anon or Flex. Everything else looks like a toy.
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Today at 08:19:40 AM »

Bob
K6UJ

There are not two receivers. It's an improved version of (the 7600's) Dual Watch. Two audio controls instead of "Balance". Two panadapter/waterfalls to "see" the two frequencies. Both frequency's audio will be in L/R earpieces simultaneously.

I thought that was the design also but in the write up at the showing it indicates being able to split the
receive audio from each receiver into two separate speakers or headphones :

"for the audio part, two speakers can be connected, even by dividing left and right channels with headphones."

Bob
K6UJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: