The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New INRAD accessory for the Icom 7300  (Read 1450 times)
N4UE

Ignore
« on: February 23, 2017, 02:56:54 PM »

I guess this is as good a place as any, to add this info.
Belonging to the Yahoo 7300 Group, I recently read that INRAD has announced a 2nd receiver adapter for the 7300.
One of the 'complaints' of this radio is the fact it has only one antenna connector. Since I cannot imagine anyone needing an additional, outboard preamp for HF, it 'appears' this device was intended for a Beverage or similar antenna. Maybe Diversity reception?Huh

(don't you find the complaints that "the radio is TOO sensitive!", bizarre? Have hams forgotten how to use a RF Gain control?)
(also the folks that buy the 7300 and give negative reviews because it has only ONE antenna connector. Didn't they read that B4 buying? I did!)

Anyway, I thought about it and since it replaces the Molex connector for my LDG IT-100 and would require additional relay switching, I'll pass. I currently use manual switching for HF/6M anyway. No big deal.

The 7610 will have multiple antenna connections.

sigh.....

ron
N4UE
K6JH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 01:40:26 AM »

I believe the Inrad adapter is simply to add a Receive antenna jack. The photo I saw had a coax jumper to loop the RX antenna port of the TR relay back in to the (added) RX input jack.

No way to add a 2nd receiver.

Jim K6JH
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 08:42:24 AM »

I'm using a 6700 with a W6LVP loop antenna.  My version is simply a strait coax to my aux RX input.  Larry does make a version that has relay switching built in specifically for a radio like the 7300.  The loop works very well for improved S/N.

73  W9OY
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 10:23:23 AM »

I believe the Inrad adapter is simply to add a Receive antenna jack. The photo I saw had a coax jumper to loop the RX antenna port of the TR relay back in to the (added) RX input jack.

JH, you are correct. I MEANT to say "a 2nd antenna connector for an additional receive antenna". I have a 7300 and this is of little interest to me. First, I wouldn't give up my Molex connector. Second, to function as a separate receive antenna port, you still need external switching.
The 7610 will have 2 receivers.

Sorry about the confusion...

ron
N4UE
K6JH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 12:02:06 PM »

JH, you are correct. I MEANT to say "a 2nd antenna connector for an additional receive antenna". I have a 7300 and this is of little interest to me. First, I wouldn't give up my Molex connector. Second, to function as a separate receive antenna port, you still need external switching.
The 7610 will have 2 receivers.

Sorry about the confusion...

ron
N4UE

Sorry Ron, I read that at nearly 2AM - and I wasn't awake enough to get it into my brain that that's what you meant. I should have re-read it a couple times!

I generally agree with your opinion. This mod does make it a little easier to do simple RX antennas. But since one is probably still going to have external relays or at least an antenna switch to go from normal RX to ext RX, plus the cost of the Inrad mod. It does start approaching the cost of a more versatile external RX relay box, so perhaps this mod isn't very attractive.

Jim K6JH
G4AON

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 10:38:56 AM »

It looks like there will be an "RX In/Out" loop, in which case you can feed an external receiver by adding an external ferrite splitter, such as the one I use with my K3:
http://www.qsl.net/g4aon/elecraft_mods/

73 Dave
K6JH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 05:50:37 PM »

Note that DX Engineering has discontinued their DXE-RTR-1 and 1A receive antenna relay boxes in favor  of the higher cost DXE-RTR-2 with optional plug-in RX preamp, RX limiter, and 75 to 50 ohm transformer boards. At $200 + options, it's starting to get pricey enough to make it more attractive to roll your own.

Still need to add a splitter for two receivers.

Jim K6JH
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Today at 05:10:44 AM »

My reading of this accessory is that it will provide a great way of blowing up your front end when you forget to ground your RX antenna on first TX.

There is almost no design in this product.  It astounds me that it relies on you manually jumpering the connectors if you want to use your radio normally, and doesn't include any front end protection.

Little more than a hack that any competent Ham could do themselves.  A second hand RTR-1 or new RTR-2 is a much wiser investment.

Jarrad - VK3BL / XU7AGA - http://vk3bl.wordpress.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: