Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to cut Phillystran  (Read 260 times)
KM5PS

Ignore
« on: Today at 09:07:10 AM »

I have been trying to find out how to cut Phillystran.  I will be cutting 4001l and 6700l Phillystran.  I have read somewhere about tapping it with electrical tape and cutting it, but did not know what type of cable cutters I need to use.  I have a pair of bolt cutters which I use for Aircraft cable, but didn't not know if that would cut Phillystran correctly or not.  Thanks in advance for the advice.

John
KD0SFY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Today at 02:14:39 PM »

Cable cutters and bolt cutters probably are not the best things for the job.  Those are made for cutting metal, not aramid fibers.  Usually a very sharp blade is good.  Cable cutters ( http://www.greenlee.com/products/CUTTER%2540c-CABLE.html?product_id=17644 ) that are still very sharp and tight may work. 

Go to the Phillystran website.  http://www.phillystran.com/Technical
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:53:56 PM »

Phillystran is best cut with a "hot knife", a heated and tensioned nichrome wire.  It'll go through it like a proverbial hot knife through butter.  A sharp blade will do a decent job, as will a Zona or Xacto saw.  It's best to hold the cable in a vice when you make the cut.
KD0SFY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:04:14 PM »

A hot knife doesn't work well on many aramid fibers like Kevlar.  It doesn't really melt. 
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Today at 05:06:31 PM »

Phillystran use to sell their own brand hot knife specifically for that purpose.

KD0SFY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:10:05 PM »

I think their hot knife was for their HDPE products. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: