Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need info: Building Consoles  (Read 2113 times)
NT9E

Ignore
« on: April 14, 2001, 02:16:42 PM »

Does anybody have any info on building an equipment console for amateur gear? I would like to enclose my equipment so that it sits on my desk and opens up when I use it and stows away when I'm through with it.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2001, 02:41:38 PM »

You need to go to the Wood-workers forum to have that question answered. Seriously, have you condidered a large roll-top desk? Just remember to have adequate ventlilation in the rear of the cabinet, and some place for all the wires and cables to pass through.  Check out some of the computer desks at some of the larger discount stores, like walmart, best buy or costco and see what they might have to use this way.

The other thought is to find a closet in a location suitable for you and access to the antennas etc. You take everything out of the closet and put in a cleat on three wals at about desk height. Then cut down a solid core door and drop it on the cleats... instant desk, and the hole for the door handle is where you run the wires out. It works well. you can add shelves above for the rest of the gear, and when you are done, just close the closet door. Its out of sight and out of the way..

tom
N6AJR
N8JSP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2001, 10:23:38 PM »

I too had a similar question. In my current situation my ham shack will have to share space with my wood shop. Not the best when you consider the dust problem. So, I'm looking for any feedback on putting your shack in "hostile" (to the equipment) environments. I'll probably end up building a desk with a fold-up or removable top that can be further covered with a fabric type of computer monitor cover. (Does anyone use those things anymore?) As my design develops I'll share it with you if you desire.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: