Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solar Power  (Read 4272 times)
K4IA

Ignore
« on: November 30, 2000, 08:07:22 AM »

How about some good resources on building solar powered backup systems for QRO and QRP?  Any ideas?
WP3HW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2000, 02:57:25 PM »

Check Marine supply houses such as West Marine.  Solar power is extensively used in the marine environment, particularly on sailboats.
de WP3HW
KB2SMS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2000, 09:08:31 PM »

All you really need is a Solar panel, charge controller and a battery. A Panel that outputs 1 amp for instance will fully charge say a 7Ah battery in 7 hours of sun. The charge controller maintains the battery, keeping it from overcharging and if the controler has low voltage detection it'll keep the battery from discharging TOO far. The Trace C-12 controller for instance does this. I use a Unisolar US-5 panel (5 watts, .300 amps), a Morningstar Sunsaver 6 controller and a 4 Ah battery. It runs my MFJ 9040 on recieve for quite a while, transmit is a different story. I'll get a large capacity battery and larger output panel soon though. There are LOTS of web sites about solar power, just do a search. Hope this helps. 73 de Tom
AB5CC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2000, 08:58:38 PM »

I run all my ham gear, packet, HF, VHF, keyer, etc from solar.  I have (4) 64 watt panels and 5 gel cell batteries and a 25 amp charge controller from West Marine.  I think I could get by with one 64 watt 3.5ah panel to do what I need.  I leave packet on 24/7 and operate HF about 2 hours per night.  The charge controller is a must.  It will save your batteries and also keep them conditioned.

It is a great feeling to be operating the radio and the lights go out and you are still on the air...

Kenneth Eppler (AB5CC)

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2000, 07:39:51 PM »

Try www.mrsolar.com as a resource for solar stuff in general.
NV0U

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2001, 12:17:19 AM »

Be sure to check out Home Power magazine as well: http://www.homepower.com. Lots of cool gizmos in there.
KB9YUR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2001, 08:37:23 PM »

Currently I use the Nomad 300 from www.solarsense.com to power my Icom 706 for
both emergency usage and field days. It also comes with a 21 watt solar panel.
73's
George, KB9YUR
Berwyn,IL.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: