Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VHF/UHF (Wideband Receive) Handheld  (Read 689 times)
KB5WHX

Ignore
« on: June 16, 2002, 12:18:19 AM »

My interest in Ham Radio has been rekindled after a number of years.  I am in the market for  dual band handheld (2mtr/220 or 2mtr/440) with extended receive.  I am considering the Alinco DJ-5Th, Yaesu FT-50RD-HP, Yaesu VX-5R and the Kenwood TH-G71A.  I have owned a Yaesu in the past and it served me very well.  I am leaning towards the Yaesu Ft-50RD-HP as it is about $50.00 or $60.00 cheaper than the VX-5R and the TH-G71A.  I have read the product reviews on these radio's and am more uncertain about which one to purchase,  The FT-50RD-HP has fairly wide receive and the audio seems to be clear and loud.

Any advice or recommendation on these radio's or another handheld would be appreciated.  

Thanking you all in advance.

Steve
KB5WHX
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2002, 11:45:53 PM »

I have a vx5r and it is by far and away my most favorite radio.  It was a bit of a bear to learn how to program,4 or 5 individual steps, but now I program in a new freq in a couple of seconds.

(goto vfo, type in freq, hit func 2, tone squelch , then 2 to set it, hit func, 3, set tone to 100 or what ever, the 3 to set it, func 6 to set ofsett + or -, then 6 to set it , then hold down func key 2 sec and it will go to wr (write) and turn to next open channel number ( 6, 7 8, etc, )then hit the func key to setit  with in 5 seconds or something like that. You then go to MR (upper right hand button and cause it to scan the mem freqs.)

It is small, picks up 8 recieve bands, transmits on 2m, 440 and 6 meters, and the battery last for ever.  buy a good case with the extra little sack foor the 6 meter tip storage.  its worth it.  

I have 9 or 10 HT's and I like the VX5R the best  the others are alinco 180 ( 2 of them ) radio shack htx 202 ( 5 or 6 of them as gifts for new hams when they get their ticket, friends and family) an Icom 24at dual bander, a couple of kenwood dual banders, and I forget the rest. the one I carry is the vx5r.  its small and it works.. 73  tom N6AJR  ( All Junk Radio  Smiley   )
AG4GT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2002, 02:29:08 PM »

I have two dual band HT’s.  An Icom W32A and the Yaesu VX-5R.  I like both radios but when you say dual band, you also have to specify if you are talking about BOTH bands at the same time or two bands one at a time.  The W32A is like having two radios in one box.  It has two displays and receives on both bands (or two frequencies on one band) all the time.  It will also do cross band repeat just like a lot of mobile radios.  The 5R however has two oscillators but it only receives one band at a time and you have to switch back and forth.  This is not to sell the 5R short.  It is a fine radio and I have on occasion set it up transmit on UHF and receive on VHF.  It is just a way of looking at and thinking about how you are going to do something or what you want when you say “dual band”.

Steven
AG4GT

KB1GXW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2002, 04:15:06 PM »

Kenwood TH-F6A. Awesome radio, small package, 2m, 220, 440, wideband rcv (ok, but not great - needs better antenna for this), and many other great features.

Ethan
KB1GXW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: