Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Given ONE TOWER of 110 feet  (Read 750 times)
N7XM

Ignore
« on: October 23, 2001, 05:40:18 PM »

I am thinking of installing my first
tower -   I love 40,  30  and 20m

I was thinking of installing
some kind of 2 or  3 el 40m at 110 feet
then above it 4 el 20m monobander
then a 2 el 30m on top

below I am thinking
of a Second 4 el 20m yagi on sidearm rotor
to be stacked with 4 el above it

then string 4 sloping 80m dipoles in Lazy
Vee using four square phasing box for 80m.

Any thoughts -  feedback on this idea would
be very appreciated.  Ideas on Spacing, interaction,
designs,  

Has anyone used ZX YAGIS out of Germany?Huh

thanks   Josh N7XM
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2001, 04:41:53 PM »

Try YT (avail in the ARRL Antenna Book) to experiment with stacking heights.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2001, 03:41:42 PM »

You will want to consider your seasonal weather conditions, and what other amateurs in the area have experienced (ice, sleet, snow, wind).

This will allow you to properly plan for expected wind loads.  You can then specify the correct tower, rotator and antennas products for your specific location.

G. Beat
w9gb
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2001, 02:58:45 AM »

This sounds like an awfully ambitious project for your first tower.  How much experience do you have climbing?  Two big monobanders on a swinging sidearm is too much.  No one builds one heay enough for that kind of an application that I am aware of.  If you want this much aluminum on a single tower, you need to explore a rotating tower, not a fixed tower with a side arm.  My advice is to scale back your expectations a bit and erect something that you can actually construct and maintain.  Subscribe to the "Tower Talk" reflector and read over the archives.  Find it by following the "Contesting" link on the left side of this page.
K8KAS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2002, 09:48:20 AM »

You will spend half of your time keeping the thing functioning, why not a nice Mosley Pro67C or Force
12 with that same mix of bands. On 80/160 either feed the tower as a monopole or use a pair of dipoles. Stacked beams are a pain to repair or replace, everything must come down or go up in order. I used monobanders for 20 years until I woke up and tried one of the new interlaced yagi's and I kick myself for fooling with the single band yagi's. The slight gain you get is not worth it in my book, I could not see it from operation alone.
KA0MR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2002, 04:55:20 PM »

Owning 3 towers on my property for I feel qualified to input here.

First, in my opinion an 40 Beam of any typr should not need to be mor than 66 feet above ground. You will never hear the difference. You maintenance will be never ending.

I have 1 tower a Rohn 45 at 70 feet with a galvanized steel mast 2 inches .20 or so wall 20 feet with 13 feet sticking above thrust bearing. On it is 7 el 6 meter beam (83 ft) and below that is a cushcrap A3WS 12m,17m and 30m Beam ( 7ft above thrust bearing) and at the botton resting on the thrustbearing is a Mosley Classic 36 200 ft form station fed with 1/2 inch heliax with antenna remote antenna switch. I don't miss much here.

The second tower is Rohn 25 at 100ft. With same galvanized pipe with 2m,220,432,902,1296 and a 24 inch 10 Ghz dish.

On this tower I have Alpha Delta DX Dipole 40 160m,80m and 40m.

And I hear plenty on those HF bands so you see the HF antennas don't need to be that high as the elevation they launch at is low enough. The VHF-UHF stuff is a little more maintenance but they are esier to handle if you need to. A monster beam at 100 feet will be a nightmare for you.

The other tower is an Rohn HDB48 with a set of satellite antennas on it. Not much maintenance there.
Think about this long and hard and you better be able to climb that baby and you will soon find out how many friends you really have because no way can you maintain a system you are thinking of by yourself. But please don't let this discourage you it was not meant to at all. By all means build your dream tower I did but HF antennas really don't need to be a sky needle.

Bob KAMR

KA0MR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2002, 04:57:44 PM »

I meant to say 160m 80m and 40m dipole are at 80 feet up tower.

Bob KAMR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: