Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna Rope  (Read 2054 times)
N2DY

Ignore
« on: June 05, 2002, 11:01:56 AM »

I have used all sorts of ropes to hold up wire antennas but one type seems to stand out. The green woven dacron rope that you see occasionally at hamfest is outstanding. It lasts and lasts and is incredibly strong. It is much better than the nylon rope with a black dacron cover. The cover will tend to rip on tree limbs exposing the weaker nylon. The problem is that I have not found a reliable source for the green woven dacron rope. I would love to buy some of that stuff in bulk. Does anyone know of a good source for that rope? Thanks.

Don N2DY
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2002, 12:04:18 PM »

Check my other response.

If the green woven stuff you're describing is what I think it is (and I love it, myself), it's probably Kevlar, not Dacron.  Which helps explain why it's so abrasion resistant.

I buy my green, woven Kevlar rope from military surplus suppliers such as Fair Radio Sales, et al.  Actually, I buy it locally from APEX Electronics in Sun Valley, CA, because that is a mil surplus house that's within a convenient drive for me -- however, I've seen the same stuff in the Fair Radio catalog.

WB2WIK/6
KA3POY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2002, 12:10:22 PM »

Military type "parachute cord" has a woven exterior sheath covering multiple interior strands, and I recommend this for guying dipoles, etc.

The cord is designed to cushion the opening shock of military round parachute canopies, and it stretches a lot.  In a big storm the trees that your antenna is guyed to can move back and forth a great distance, and the cord won't snap.

Tim
N5IIT
frmr USArmy Airborne!
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2002, 02:36:24 PM »

You may want to look at the polyester rope commonly found at your local home improvement mega-store. Nylon and polypropylene ropes tend to harden a knot after weathering and will deteriorate from UV damage, but polyester has a much longer service life in outdoor use. As for abrasion resistance, I can't comment as I have no convenient trees to experiment with.

The only odd behavior of the polyester I've used is that it will tend to stretch a bit when wet, then pull back tight when it dries.

- AC5UP

Never change a password on a Friday                
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: