Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi again  (Read 638 times)
KILL9843

Ignore
« on: October 02, 2002, 12:46:54 AM »

I got my license Saturday and have desided to buy a Kenwood 707a mobile 2m/70cm rig.

Now i need a antenna that is under $100, i dont want to have one that is any more than 5ft tall and i want to be able to communicate to diffrent states. I would prefer a omni directional. (please tell me if this is a realistic wish)

Also please give me some model numbers to look at that fit my criteria so i can figure out which antenna to get.

BTW: what else will i need?Huh Somthing for lighting protection? A tuner? Or can i get away without these things.

Thanks for your time guys!!!

Bye for now
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2002, 07:13:16 PM »

First, what's your new callsign??

Next, "communicating with different states" on 2m/70cm FM may be possible if you live where the states are small (like in New England) and totally out of the question if you live in the middle of Montana.  Where are you?

A 5' tall omnidirectional antenna won't have any gain on two meters, but if it's a dual-bander, it could have a bit of gain on 440 MHz.  Usually not enough to "contact different states" on VHF-UHF FM unless the states are small, or you live on the border of two or three states.

From here in Los Angeles where I live, contacting even one other state (besides California) on 2m FM is nearly impossible, with any sort of power or antenna from a home station.  The next nearest state, Nevada, is 250 miles away, and over two large mountain ranges.  Arizona is even a tad farther, and the next nearest state, Oregon, is nearly 1000 miles away.  However, I can contact Mexico, which is only 125 miles away but in a clear direction, any old time.

For a well-performing VHF-UHF dual-band omnidirectional, I'd recommend the Diamond X200A.  It's in the $100 price range, and has a little bit of gain (about 3 dB) on two meters, and more gain (about 9 dB) on 440 MHz.  It's a good antenna, highly functional, excellent performance, and weathers well.  Install it up as high as possible above ground (preferably higher than your house, any of your neighbors' homes, and all trees, utility poles and utility wiring in the neighborhood -- once you're over those things, going higher doesn't help much), and connect it with some low-loss coaxial cable like 9913, LMR400, etc.  With such a system, you'll be doing as well as anybody in your neighborhood, unless someone else has a tall tower and a better antenna!

WB2WIK/6
WA4PTZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2002, 06:24:18 AM »

Well, congratulations on your license. Now, for your
questions....you certainly have high hopes for a newby.
You will not communicate with other states with a 5
foot antenna. Unless your 5 miles from the state line.
The Comet and Diamond antennas are the best on the
market. There is little difference in them except for
the variety of styles and gains. Do a lot of research
before you decide on an antenna. Remember: Comparisons
to isotropic are theoretical . If a frog had wings
he would not bust his butt when he jumped is also a
theoretical. Theories are constantly being proven to
be wrong. Even Einstein's . One thing you can usually
count on for VHF/UHF antennas...the longer the better.
Good Luck -73
 Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: