Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Connecting my new Icom IC-718 to my SB-201  (Read 923 times)
N2EAL

Ignore
« on: January 05, 2003, 08:32:29 AM »

I have made all the necessary connections including a seperate keying relay and I can key the SB-201 but the Icom does not have a XMIT switch.
How the heck do I tune the SB-201.
I thought about using AM on the ICOM but its only 40W out in AM.
MY HW-101 was easy, just turn the switch to tune and adjust the finals.
I am new to jap rigs...very nice and easy to use except for this one proble.

E-mail  kc5md@aol.com
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2003, 05:09:27 PM »

I don't have an IC-718 to play with at the moment, but what happens if you switch the mode to RTTY and transmit using the PTT?  In many rigs, that will generate a full-power, steady carrier.  Possibly in the '718, also...

N0XE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2003, 03:09:23 PM »

Maybe I am missing something here, but can't you plug a key in to your Icom and key the rig,(CW) set the power out to what ever is a good place to start, say 65 watts or so and tune the Amp in to a KW dummy load. I would make sure the Amp has tuned input, or has been moded for that, as the Icom may see over 1.5 to 1 on the input of the amp and reduce your drive. You can fix this by putting a tuner in line between the rig and the amp if you have to. Once you have the Amp tuned up in CW mode and you have increased power to 100 watts for  full output on the Amp, you should be set. I am not sure how much drive the 201 needs for full rated output but since it is an older amp, I am guessing it likes a full 100 watts drive.  Just switch to SSB and keep your mic gain in the ALC range if you are using an ALC hook up and you should be set.
I am not an expert on the newer rigs and amps, but I would think it would be the same way as all the older gear I use to own.
73 N0XE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: