Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS 940S vs Yaesu FT 767GX  (Read 1996 times)
KG6OES

Ignore
« on: February 07, 2003, 03:51:47 PM »

I passed the Tech and General exams in December.  I will pass the code test next Wednesday.

I may have a choice between a Kenwood TS 940S which has just come back from Kenwood's shop, or a Yaesu FT 767GX with the 6 and 2 meter modules which will be going into Yaesu's shop soon.

The Kenwood will come with the original manual, scope, mike, speaker and RS-232 interface.

The Yaesu will come with the original manual, mike and speaker.

Both were purchased new, and have been run in a smoke free, clean environment by someone who really knows what he's doing (been an extra class since the '50s).

I just fell off the beet wagon, so I'd like some informed opinions.

TIA,

Al Emery
KG6OES
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2003, 07:20:53 PM »

You didn't say if these two items were equivalently priced or not, or how much they're selling for.  A just-back-from-the-Kenwood-shop TS940S with the accessories you listed (especially the scope, which on its own is worth about $200 although most hams really don't need one, and it doesn't add a single dB to your signal!) is probably worth close to $1000 since it will be covered by a warranty of some sort from Kenwood.  The rig without any Kenwood warranty and without the scope is probably only worth about $500.

Having owned and used both the 940S and the 767GX, I'd prefer the Kenwood in just about every respect, although the 767 has modules providing coverage of two additional bands -- which may be valuable to you.

They are both old enough that there will be future service problems, almost undoubtedly.  However, recent "factory service" might mitigate most of those.

Frankly, you could pick up a used but nearly-new IC746 that covers all the bands of the 767GX including the two VHF modules, and is much newer technology, for about $800.  That rig was so popular, and so many were sold, that they are abundant on the used market -- not because they're "bad," just because there are so many of them.  It's a good rig, and for $800 or so it's a good investment.  Of course, the IC746 requires a separate power supply, which the TS940S does not need.  But, then, because the 746 is 12VDC-powered, it's also smaller and lighter than the 940S and much easier to take into the field or use mobile (the 940S doesn't work mobile, period).

I see you're in Fontana.  There's an active ham club there, I think it's called the Inland Empire ARC, and they have a Swap Meet at A.B. Miller High School in Fontana once a month.  You might go to that and see what you find, also.  Nice group of guys.

73 & good luck on the code test!

Steve, WB2WIK/6

KG6OES

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2003, 04:53:29 PM »

Thanks for the info.

I was at the swapmeet at J.D. Miller High this morning.  I picked up a 2W -> 30W 2 meter amp with preamp for $25.00.  I don't think that's too shabby.

I've met a few guys from the IARC, and they really are nice guys.

73s

Al
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: