Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Base antenna for Icom 706MKIIG?  (Read 905 times)
KG6OUB

Ignore
« on: March 22, 2003, 10:29:41 PM »

I purchased the Icom 706MKIIG for a base station and I would like suggestions on antennas. I have about 45 feet of roof line and small lot to work with.
Something easy and fast would be great.
It was suggested a AH-4 tuner but then what?

Thanks in advance!
KD5VHF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2003, 11:11:20 AM »

That's a tough question since every antenna will preform differently at different locations and set ups. Take a look at whats out there and set up one that appeals to you and if it dosen't work like you want then change to something else and give it a try.I know thats not much of an answer but wouldn't it be great if there were one antenna that would work far better than anything else out there no matter how you had it set up or the conditions around it? :-) Take a look at the two sites listed for some ideas. http://www.qsl.net/w4sat/antenna.htm & http://www.ac6v.com/antprojects.htm
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2003, 06:01:42 PM »

What bands?  "All" of them?  (The IC706Mk2G covers 12 bands.  You can't do that with just one or two antennas!)

Unfortunately, "fast and easy" rarely results in good signals.  However, if this is a temporary installation, e.g., you intend to move in a few weeks or something, then of course "fast and easy" could be a good idea.

A good, well-engineering vertical antenna system for 40 through 10 meters covers 7 bands and can yield worldwide DX on a daily basis, while occupying a small footprint on top of your roof and is often the "best bang for the buck" when it comes to "do a lot with not much work involved" installations.  A couple of great but inexpensive DX antennas for those bands include the GAP Titan DX and the Hy-Gain AV-640, both of which are self-contained and ground-independent.

For 80/160, wire loops can work well.  For 6m, 2m and 70cm, depends on what you want to do: I prefer SSB and weak-signal work, where only horizontally polarized beams have any hope of doing the job.  Luckily, 6m, 2m and 70cm beams can all be installed on a common mast over a medium-duty rotator mounted above the roofline and yield some great fun without much of an investment.

For FM work on those bands, however, vertical polarization is definitely the choice.

What do you want to do?  Whatever it is, expect the antenna investment to be at least as much as the "rig" investment, and it will pay off many times over with a great enjoyment of the hobby and the propagation available.  "Quick and easy" often leads to much disappointment, and wondering where everyone is.

WB2WIK/6
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: