Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Auto Tuner  (Read 727 times)
KE4IZA

Ignore
« on: February 24, 2003, 09:41:29 PM »

I have an IC-718.  Can someone recommend a quality and reliable auto tuner.  My MFJ-949E is getting to be a pain the butt.

Thanks
AB0UK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2003, 09:37:01 PM »

Try this for funs and grins.  It worked for me.  I had a autotuner that was used with my IC-718 and simply did not like.  I even used a cable between the tuner and radio to activate the tuner and still wasn't happy with it.  I traded the autotuner for a manual tuner and got a tuner plug from a seller on eBay.  From the tuners manual present the inductor on the tuner to the band you are going to use.  Hit the tune button on the radio and it gives a 10 second burst of 10 watts CW.  During that time tune the capacitors.  With a little practice I'm finished in way less than the 10 seconds and hit the tune button again to stop the CW.  Remember, you don't have to tune out every last morsel of SWR.  The person receiving will never hear the difference between 1.3:1 and 1.5:1.  Some autotuners are not that precise either.

The plug on eBay was about $10 or less including shipping and made me a happy camper as for as tuning my antennas (er..impedance matching).  I have no interest in the tuner plugs on eBay other than being a happy customer.

Jim, AB0UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: