Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom IC-2720H vs. Yaesu FT-8900R  (Read 1722 times)
N7SEB

Ignore
« on: April 27, 2003, 08:18:14 PM »

Hello,
 I currently have a FT-8100R, I do not like it. Not stable.  I fixed it once and it runs fine now, but who knows how long it will last.

So I am looking at getting a new rig. I love the dual-RX, so I was looking at the IC-2720H and FT-8900R. I've read the reviews and they both look good. I like the idea of 6M on the FT-8900R.

What I want is a good stable radio that I won't have to worry about during an emergency, etc.

I want to be able to run high power without having to worry about it locking up or melting down.

Which radio in your opinon is the best?

Scott -- N7SEB
N5CTI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2003, 01:03:26 PM »

I can't make a direct comparison because I'm not familiar with the Icom, but I love my '8900. The basic functions are easily handled without a lot of studying the manual, and the more complex (read: menu-driven) functions gradually work their way into your memory banks the more you operate them.

Tons of memories (800+, but I can't imagine I'd ever use them all), crossband repeating is great. I'm really enjoying mine. OTOH, it's my first mobile rig, so I'm not an objective observer.

Although I'm not complaining about it, there are three things I wish were available on the '8900: 1) Ability to program at least the memory channels from a computer, especially if you're going to label the channels. Imagine twirling the knobs to put in 800 6-character labels! No thank you! 2) Like most of the popular VHF/UHF mobile rigs these days, the '8900 is FM-only (except for Air band receive). Would be nice to be able to operate CW or SSB with it, but then, you'd need to use a differently polarized antenna, too. And 3) I'd love to be able to control the rig remotely over the 70cm band. I should have made this my #1 additional feature, because it's certainly the one I'd use the most.

I know that's incomplete, but I hope you find the input useful.

Boyd / N5CTI
KE4RWS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2003, 02:28:56 AM »

I'd take a look at the reviews for both models here on eHam. Both have a respectable number of reviews that will allow you to draw your own conclusion.

Having said that, I own two FT-8900R's and love both of them. I use one in the car and one at home. I wrote a rather lengthy review of the FT-8900R in the review section, and I encourage you to read up on both models accordingly before buying. Although I've never owned the IC-2720 I can say I've read many of the reviews on it, and while some people are completely happy with it others have had concerns with intermodulation and either high or low audio (which is apparently fixable via the menu I believe). Again though, I would encourage you to read through them yourself to make your own determination. It's a very good resource for those like yourself who are considering both models.

God luck with your search, and please email me if you have any questions about the FT-8900R. I'll be happy to help.

Randy Evans
KE4RWS
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2003, 02:57:21 AM »

look at the yaesu ft 847, and the kenwood ts 2000, both great all band all mode rigs, and the ts 2000 has auto tune and vox.  I like them a lot
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: