Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Extending coax  (Read 597 times)
KC9EOS

Ignore
« on: August 30, 2003, 04:26:48 PM »

Here's one of those trivial questions that must have an easy answer, but boy is it frustrating to not know!

I need to extend a coax run by adding more RG 58 to an already existing length.  The original length already has a PL-259 plug at the end.  Isn't there a "female" version of the 259 that I can buy to put on the end of my new length of coax?  If there is, I sure can't find it!  Failing that, is there a coupler of some kind that provides two female plugs, so that the two male 259's can be connected?  If there's no such thing, then what is the best way to do this?  It may sound silly, but I'm trying to avoid splicing the coax together, and I'm trying to avoid starting over with a longer run (and adding ends, etc.)

Thanks for your help!
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2003, 12:39:39 AM »

Your best bet is to use a barrel connector, basically two SO-239s (the female match to the PL-259) together to mate the two male connectors.

RG-58 is darned poor coax.  How long is your total run?  Adding a barrel adds loss, and that's lossy coax to start with.  You might seriously want to consider replacing the RG-58 with RG-8 or better if you are talking about 100' or more.  Even at 10m the quality of the coax can make a big difference in how much power goes out the antenna.

Caity
K7VO
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2003, 12:48:12 AM »

A PL-258 (Amphenol RFU-536) is a double female UHF connector, which seems to be the connector you want.
    You can get the connectors (possibly special order) from a local supplier, or from such suppliers as Cable-Xperts, or Pasternak Enterprises; I'm sure there are many other suppliers.  But I'd recommend you get an Amphenol or other name brand connector; the price difference is not that much more that the cheap connectors sometimes found, and you will be glad you used a quality connector.  Just make sure you weatherproof the splice properly.

Good luck.
K5USS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2003, 10:04:06 PM »

As the other posters said, use a barrel type connector and definitely use Amphenol types.  They last longer, seem to have less loss and are quality products.  also, as has already been said, WEATHERPROOF!!!  But it is in the shack, still do it!  I wrap everything.  Humidity gets into all kinds of things.

Charlie
K5USS

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: