Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Current draw for FT-101 and similar rigs  (Read 594 times)
SERGEANT

Ignore
« on: September 14, 2003, 11:49:07 AM »

Can anyone post reliable figures for current draw for receive and transmit cycles for this or similar (TS-520, etc.) radios? I'd like to put together a battery bank for power backup - and don't have one of these radios to check. Thanks
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2003, 04:58:18 PM »

Typical HF ham radios will draw just under 21 amps on 12 volt DC when transmitting at 100 watts out.
N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2003, 09:27:04 AM »

The receive side per my FT-101ZD manual draws about 5.5 amps with the tube filaments 'on' & 1.1 amps with the tubes 'off'. Not as efficient compared to all solid-state radios. Although some all solid-state will draw close to 2 amps during receive. The transmit side requires 21 amps.

I did not measure the receive current draw, however I believe the data above is for the older FT-101 with 6JS6 tubes that require twice the filament current of the 6146B in my transceiver. If I am correct, reduce the 5.5 amps to about 4 amps during receive with the tubes 'on'.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: