Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feedline entry point  (Read 932 times)
VE3RTS

Ignore
« on: September 26, 2003, 12:38:40 PM »

I was wondering what techniques people are using to pass their feedlines into their houses?  Just drill a hole?  Do you pass both the feedline and the ground line through the same hole?  Is it better to separate these two?

Do you just caulk up the hole?  Is there some sort of commercial conduit that is specialized for this purpose?    I can see fiddling with cables passing through this hole  so a convenient way of adding more cables or changing things around would be nice.

73, Jim.
VE3RTS
K3ANG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2003, 01:07:27 PM »

Hi, Jim.
Right now I'm passing my antenna coax thru a 2-foot long piece of 2-inch diameter pvc pipe mounted in a hole I chiseled thru the brick foundation. The station ground is inside attached to the water pipe. The station is in the basement. When my first station was in my parent's house on the second story of an individual home, I ran the antenna wire (random wire) under the window sill to the outside.  The station ground traveled out that way too, because there wasn't a suitable ground on the second floor.  I've seen people use aluminum dryer vents to run station/antenna wiring outside.

HTH (Hope this helps)
Greg, K3ANG
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2003, 03:10:36 PM »

Depends upon how many feedlines you want to run and what the walls are made of.

Just one and a ground line through most materials you can drill a single hole (angled downward from the inside to outside to help keep moisture out) and caulk the hole with commercial caulking compound.

For multiple lines or lines that you want to change around use a piece of PVC pipe through the walls. On the outside plug the hole with fiberglass insulation and tape over the opening securely.

A 2" dia pipe will let you run three or four RG-8 sized feedlines with no problem - more if you run the lines through and THEN install the connectors.

Lon
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2003, 05:00:47 PM »

I think one of the least obtrusive methods, and one which you can "leave behind" when you sell the house without impacting resale value at all is to use a "dryer vent" as sold at all the home improvement and hardware stores.

Typical dryer vent is 4" diameter, enough to pass several cables.  Most homes already have one such vent installed in an outside wall somewhere, so adding another one is no big deal.  People are used to seeing them, and they don't look bad.  They are also extremely weather resistant -- truly waterproof if installed per the directions -- long-lasting, and very inexpensive (typically about $3).  And the hole saw required for installation is commonly, and cheaply, available, too.  I've installed these in many homes; it usually takes 30-60 minutes, all labor included.

Install the dryer vent, run the cables through it, and any unused space can be packed with weatherproofing foam.  Foam can be easily removed to add more cables, and then pack the foam back in again.

You know you have a *real* antenna farm when you have too many cables to pass through a 4" diameter hole!

WB2WIK/6
N7NBB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2003, 11:26:10 PM »

Good Ideas All! and yes DRYER VENTS are more socially accepted than a 2 inch hole where PVC pipe was...

I use 2.5 inch PCV pipe with NON CEMENTED Elbows on the outside (pointed down) to help with the "drip loop"  

The only other "tip" I might suggest is to use STAINLESS STEEL WOOL inside whatever PIPE you use.  "DETERMINED" rodents(mice, etc) will just gnaw, and paw through normal fiberglass insulation, and pull it all out.... However they will not chew throug the Steel Wool (I think it must hurt their fillings?)

In anyevent use STANINLESS so it won't RUST into powder. and "SANDWICH" it in the middle of two plugs of fiberglass insulation.,

CAM
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2003, 01:28:49 AM »

The four inch dryer vent is indeed the neatest way
to  provide a great entry for coax and ground wire.

For great information on proper grounding, See the
tech. notes at the Polyphaser website:
http://www.polyphaser.com/ppc_pen_home.asp
Don't be overwhelmed by how much they want you to
do to properly ground a station. It can be done for
lots less money than it might at first appear.
No need to use "new" wire outdoors for example.
Old scrap copper wire works great. Copper strap
can usually be had for a good price from upscale
roofers (Roof valley flashing) Instead of "cadweld"
Old fashoned hard silver solder can be used.
(Mapp gas in a small hand held torch will provide
enough heat)  And it does not all have to be done
at once. I am still adding ground radial wires
to my station, Been at it for over 30 years now!
WA1RNE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2003, 03:06:23 PM »

I use a a PVC Conduit Body which is actually designed for a similar application. They come in several sizes and are used by the commercial electrical industry for gaining access to cable raceway's inside buldings.

What I do is bore a hole through the siding, shingles, etc. the size of the outside diameter of the Conduit Body (usually 1-3" o.d.) put a little silicon sealer around it, insert it into the hole and secure with 1 galvanized decking screw. I recommend the larger units to allow several cables to fit without creating an excessive bending radius on coaxial lines.(coax can be bent only so far without damage)

The Conduit Body has a removable access panel that is weather sealed for access to your cables. It solves the problem and has a professional appearance. If you sell the house, just leave it there and plug the entrance with a piece of PVC and a cap.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: