Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Audio & power distribution/switching panel  (Read 649 times)
N0XAS

Ignore
« on: January 31, 2004, 01:20:50 AM »

As I start rearranging my miniscule shack -- again -- I want to set things up so I don't have to move things around every time I want to switch, say, from the TS-930 to the OHR-400 to a freshly built Rock-Mite.  The operating position is pretty small, by choice.  It's a small recessed computer desk built in to the basement, no access behind the drywall without a jackhammer (it's concrete block).  Everything needs to be on the desk, or in the case of coax switches or power supplies under it or on the wall.  You can tell I build more than I operate; the workshop is nice and big and the shack is about the size of our hall closet.  8-)

Ideally I'm thinking of a distribution/switching panel or box with inputs for 2-3 keys, DC power, and audio from half a dozen rigs (4 at least, preferably 6).  Outputs would be audio to two sets of phones (same audio, one set for visitors) and a monitor speaker, key jacks for half a dozen rigs, and DC power for however many rigs and accessories I can squeeze in, so I don't have any wall warts plugged in.  I don't really care about mics, since I don't use them much and they're often not interchangeable anyway.  I can deal with 2 mics hanging from rigs.

I'm thinking four 6-way rotary switches and a whoooole mess of 1/8" stereo jacks, plus a handful or two of Power Pole connectors and fuse holders thrown in.  That would let me select any audio source for the phones and another source for the monitor speaker, and route two keys to two rigs.  Most of the jacks would be in the rear, but I'd want to put one power, one key and one audio input jack on the front so I can temporarily hook up newly built rigs, rigs under test or whatever without getting behind the box or panel.  Maybe even a front mounted 1/4" key jack for those exceedingly rare occasions I drag out the straight key, too.

Yes, I can build it myself.  It's just tedious trying to get all the holes lined up and panel markings done so it looks good.  Electrically it's no challenge, of course.  Question is, does anyone make these commercially?  I see plenty of DC power distribution panels, but haven't seen any incorporating audio and/or key switching also.  So I'm just askin' before I start drillin'.

Dale - n0xas
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: