Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I want a new radio -- what should I get?  (Read 934 times)
MERICKSEN

Ignore
« on: March 09, 2004, 08:23:04 PM »

I have owned a Kenwood TS-850 HF radio for about 11 years, and I have really enjoyed the radio.  The receive and transmit audio is great.  I usually  operate SSB and CW on occasion.  Lately, I have had that burning desire for a new rig, something that has DSP and good interference fighting capabilities.

I had an opportunity to operate a Kenwood TS-870 and an ICOM ic-756 ProII for about four hours at AES in Orlando, and I walked away thinking that the Pro II did just about everything better than the 870 did.  The proII was magnificent in fighting interference. I know the 870 is a considerably older design than the ProII and possibly that is why the 870 didn't seem to do as well in my subjective evaluation.

I wish Kenwood would come out with a replacement for the 870, but I have no reason to believe that will happen in the near future;  so, I guess I am leaning toward purchasing a Pro II.  I was wondering if anyone had some thoughts on this radio or other radios in this class.  I sure would love to hear your opinions.

Thanks
Mark Ericksen
AD4MA

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2004, 07:03:15 PM »

The PROII is very popular and a lot of bang for the buck.  There's rumor that Kenwood's coming out with a replacement for the discontinued TS-950SDX, their last "high end" radio, but I haven't seen it yet.

Operating the PROII side-by-side with my TS-850S, I can't find any condition under which the PROII actually performs better; however, it's certainly prettier, and covers six meters, and is several years' newer technology.  You probably can't go wrong with it.

WB2WIK/6
KA9CCH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2004, 01:42:41 PM »

An alternate source of info is the Yahoo IC-718 group

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ic718/

All 718 users, and you should be able to get some specific questions answered there.

BTW, I like my 718.  

Levert
KA9CCH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2004, 06:19:49 PM »

opps, posted reply to wrong question.
KA4KOE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 04:18:14 PM »

Keep the 850. You'll be sorry if you get rid of it.

Philip
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 07:43:01 PM »

I certainly would not trade my TS-850S for an 870, and probably not for a PROII either.  I'd consider a Ten-Tec Omni-VI+, or an Orion, though!

You may wish to consider getting some additional filters for the 850.

73 de Chuck  NI0C

N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2004, 01:34:44 PM »

When I posed that very question to my wife, she said, "Get a better paying job!"

Seriously, I have an ICOM 756Pro. Although there are those who would argue with me, I don't think there is enough of a difference between a Pro and a ProII to warrant the "upgrade". The only problem is that you can't buy a brand new Pro any more, but there are plenty on eBay. I did sell my original 756 for the Pro and am glad I did.

My rule in ham radio, as in everything in life, buy the best you can afford.

de Scott NØIU
W7MD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2004, 04:34:14 PM »

I would keep the 850 for CW use, adding 500 KHz filters if you don't already have them.  The 850 filters are better than the 870 CW DSP filtering, IMHO.
Then get a used 870 for SSB.  It is a wonderful SSB rig with neat continuously variable DSP filtering but one of the worst CW rigs that I ever owned. I had an earlier 870 model so they may have improved it a bit in later upgrades. I sold my 870 and nabbed a good used 850 which I use for CW.
KC1MK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2004, 10:46:09 AM »

I bought a ProII about two and a half years ago, and sold my TS-850 a couple of months later, so I had the opportunity to do some A/B comparision of the two. My TS-850 had INRAD 1.8kHZ and 500-Hz filters in the 8.83-MHz IF, and an INRAD 500-Hz filter in the 455-kHZ IF.
I did not find any instance where I could copy a signal better on the 850 than on the ProII. I found a few instances where copy was better on the ProII. This included SSB and CW. I could not find a difference on digital modes such as PSK31. I also did some comparisons with a local ham (about half a mile away) aiming his beam at me (on 40, 20, and 10 meters) running full legal power. The ProII actually did better at copying a very weak signal close to an extremely strong signal.
I ended up selling the TS-850, and I haven't regretted it. The 850 was a great rig, and I'd recommend it highly, but IMO the ProII is better.
Jeff, KC1MK
K8ML

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2004, 10:59:59 PM »

Hello, my 2 1/2 cents worth would be to get a late model Omni VI Plus, or the Orion.....I have had the 850 [fine rig also]...and both of those Ten Tec rigs ..... I liked the VI + so much that even after getting a Orion I bought yet another VI +  [2001 model ].....73 all and have fun...Mark...K8ML
W1SCB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2004, 10:55:53 PM »

Well, I have a ProII that I got this last february at the local hamfest....lasted less than a month, dealer said send it to Icom, they said toake it to dealer who sent it to Icom, who said they fixed, it came back (almost 8wks) still defective, Icom apologized said they were sending a call tag, one week later, no tag, apologized and said were sending, 2nd day, that was last week.   I'm not impressed, which is a shame.  I really liked it.
W1SCB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2004, 10:56:56 PM »

Oh still no tag either....
N2CTZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2004, 07:03:36 PM »

any icom in my opinion the pro is a great radio

alan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: