Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Long ground solution?  (Read 640 times)
KE4ZDY

Ignore
« on: June 03, 2004, 04:05:26 PM »

My base station is necessarily located in a 2nd floor bedroom, currently NOT next to an outside wall. My antenna location is in the attic space due to the usual subdivision CC&Rs.  This arrangement is acceptable for VHF/UHF but I am hoping to get my General ticket & do some HF.

I see pix of what are obviously upper floor or attic stations. What do people do for a "real earth ground" in this situation? I could run a line outside & down to the ground, but I am concerned that this long a run will be too close to operating frequency resonance.

Any suggestions?  Thanks!
Gerry
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2004, 06:11:16 PM »

A station equipment ground isn't necessary in the majority of cases, so I wouldn't worry about it.

You have an upstairs bedroom without an outside wall?  That's unusual -- here in L.A. County, it's actually prohibited!  All bedrooms must have both an outside wall and a window or door capable of emergency exit or a building permit can't be issued.  But that's another story!

In any case, if you use matched antennas there's really no benefit of a station ground, and in 39 years of very active hamming from 16 homes, using thirteen bands and high power, I've never had a station ground yet.

I'd be far more concerned about using attic antennas, as they can cause problems that aren't easy to solve (mostly RFI to household devices and appliances).

WB2WIK/6
KE4ZDY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004, 11:23:44 PM »

Steve:

Thanks for the info. Sorry if my language was confusing: the upstairs room HAS an outside wall replete w/ window, but the radio isn't AGAINST that wall.

Your info is very encouraging. Re: the RFI, as long as I can confine it to MY house, none's the worry. Yes, I'm mostly joking! (no one would be so casual about RFI, right?)

Now, to get that HF ticket...

Gerry
W5CDL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2004, 04:21:08 PM »

I have the exact same problem and the same type setup. Though a ground may not be necessary I would be more comfortable with the cases grounded. Water pipes are pvc so I can't use them. Without an earth ground does anyone know some way to ground my equipment or with a earth ground a proper way to do it in this situation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: