Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Receiver: TS 140 vs 430  (Read 1283 times)
W9YE

Ignore
« on: September 02, 2003, 12:08:26 PM »

I have a like new TS 140 that I use as a second rig at the lake cabin and as a back-up at home.  I also have the matching AT 250, PS 50 and SP 430.  I have been frustrated at the lack of QRM fighting options on the receiver (RIT is about it) and the high noise floor on this radio and am wondering how much better the receiver is on the TS 430.  I would like to be able to use the above accesories if possible on a radio with a better front end in the receiver.  Is it worth looking for a good 430?  Does anyone have one with box, manual, FM board, etc?  Thanks for any help

Gavin Roberts W9EYE
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2003, 10:04:51 AM »

I have no experience with the 140, but I have a 430 as the backup to my TS-570S(G).

Considering the age of the 430, I doubt that the receiver is going to be much of an improvement over the 140. Other than RIT and an IF shift control there os no "QRM fighting" capabilities in the 430.

You would be much better off buying a newer radio with improved receiver performance. I would suggest looking for a used 570(G) or 570S(G), if you are interested in 6m. Both have an internal tuner roughly equivalent to the AT-250. You can use your existing speaker and power supply with it.

Hope this helps,

Lon
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2003, 05:00:55 PM »

You could get the narrow SSB and CW filters for it.  I believe these are still available.  You probably have a stock base radio with no filters.

I have the older TS-130SE and the first thing that I did when I got it was to add the filters.  It made a tremendous difference in fighting QRM.
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2003, 12:52:38 PM »

The TS-140 is known for poor selectivity.  About all you can do is add an outboard DSP, and that will help.  There is nothing you can really do about the noisy synthesizer.

Why is this a Kenwood-only discussion?  Consider rigs like the Icom IC-751A and Yaesu FT-890AT.  Both will give you dramatically improved performance for not a whole lot of money.  To get there with a Kenwood you'd be looking at a TS-850S, which is more expensive.

Caity
K7VO
N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2003, 10:15:02 AM »

I agree, a TS-570 series will way outperform a TS-140 or TS-430. No extra dollars? Buy a used ICOM IC-718 for $350 as I have seen on eBay.
KT8K

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 09:50:33 AM »

My Tentecs have all had receivers that beat the YaeComWood units I've owned by a very noticeable margin.  My TS520 was just "OK", but TS120, FT757, IC735 were all deaf by comparison.  My old 1982 Argosy cost me $180 at Dayton last year, and a trip to the Tentec tuneup shop for about the same amount yielded a truly great rig.  It has only the bells and whistles I need, and the receiver with the crystal and audio filters is truly great in weak OR crowded band conditions.  

I've had too much experience with IKensu units with seriously deaf receivers and no adjacent signal rejection ... I may never get another Japanese rig for HF.  Especially when there are lots of other great old Tentecs out there for cheap.  The only thing I'd recommend besides a Tentec (used or new) is an Elecraft product.
Good luck & 73 de kt8k - Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: