Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom 746PRO or Kenwood TS-570S (G)  (Read 685 times)
KC2MWJ

Ignore
« on: September 19, 2004, 01:18:15 PM »

I am ready to purchase a new HF+6 mtr rig, and have narrowed it down to these 2 choices. Price is about the same, considering the 746 comes with a promotional power supply. I'd have to buy one for the TS-570. I'm looking for a decent transceiver with 6 mtrs and tuner included. Will be using it for both SSB and CW, with possible digital modes in the future. Large easy to read display and less menus are better for me. I currently have a Kenwood TS-520SE, so either of these will be a step-up for me. After reading all the reviews of both, it's still a tough decision.
Thanks,
Tony
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 02:31:31 PM »

Tony:

I have no experience with the 746, but I have had a 570(S)G for almost four years and have no complaints. I think it is the best value for the money in an HF/6 rig.

The menu system is mostly set and forget and there are two menus available so you can set things up separately for SSB and CW and switch between the two with one button push (or set up for SSB/CS and digital) although I use mine for both SSB and digital with the same menu settings.

Of course, the 570 has Kenwood's outstanding audio and both the TX and RX audio is adjustable.

When my club was looking to equip a multi radio shack, we bought four of the 570s and haven't regretted it a bit.

Hope this helps,

Lon
KC2MWJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 08:04:19 AM »

Lon,
I thought I'd get a few more replys, but your's was it. I just picked up a TS-570SG this morning. I also have a TS-520SE which was my main rig until now. I'll keep it as a spare. Thanks for the reply.
Tony KC2MWJ
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2004, 12:53:06 PM »

I though you'd get more, too.

I don't think you will be disappointed with the rig. While it's not a hot shot DX rig, I have over 200 countries with it. I don't contest (other that to give the other guys points) so I can't say about that one way or the other.

I haven't seen anything in that price range that I'd replace it with, though. And it is rather compact. Smiley

Lon
AH6FC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2004, 04:36:15 PM »

The decision is difficult.  I bought the 746PRO in December.  No problems (like others have reported). ICOM service answered my few questions promptly via email.  The rig is reasonably sized and good functions.  The PBT, notch, and filters really improve selectivity.  If I had it to do over would consider 756pro, which reportedly has an even better receiver.  Also would consider FT1000, which is a larger rig.  

Good luck
KC4ZGK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2004, 07:29:28 AM »

I had a 570D and traded it in to HRO for a 746 which I had for 6 months and REALLY missed the sound and feel of my 570D so I traded back for a 570DG. I can tell you it is a great value for the dollar. I really thought the Icom felt somewhat cheap compared to the Kenwood. I do have a Icom 706 as a back up HF-VHF-UHF radio so I have nothing against Icom I just think the Kenwood is a nicer rig. Regards... Ed
W7KPQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2004, 01:14:08 PM »

I have a Kenwood TS-570S(G) and an original Icom 746 (non pro version).  On receive they're about equal as I've compared them side by side many times.  On transmit the 746 always gets better audio reports.  Also, the noise blanker on the 746 is significantly better than the 570.  The NB on the 570 will work at times in taking out some noise but the 746 consistently takes it out all the time.  The 746 definitely has a better NB.  The triple band stacking register is a neat feature that Kenwood rigs don't have.  While I like the 570 if I had to keep one it would be the 746.  
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2004, 09:05:26 PM »

I had a 570 d no g and loved it but sold it and got a ts2000 to go with the 746 proII and the 756.  the ts 2000 has 6+2+440 and hf and is my "goto" for sats and stuff, the 756  witha a 2kl/at500 for search and pounce and the 746 with the big amp and manual tuner for sit and holler cq contest..

they are all great rigs, just do different things differently.. but I love the kenwood audio.. nice bass sound..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: