Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HTX-100 Questions  (Read 1188 times)
KD7UFW

Ignore
« on: February 24, 2005, 08:52:38 AM »

I just bought an HTX-100 for my first HF rig because a just got out of college and dont have enough for an all bander.  I was wondering what antenna tuner you would use with it and what types of power supplies are out there.  It only runs up to 25 watts so I am thinking a 10 amp supply would be fine.  I only spent $50 on the radio so I dont want to get into really expensive equipment to run it.  I will be running it mobile with a modified CB antenna or hamstick and at home also with dipoles, etc.  I really appreciate any help you could all give me.  Thanks again.
Ben  
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 10:55:11 AM »

My advice would be that you don't need an antenna tuner at all.  A hamstick, a dipole, or a shortened CB whip should be able to provide a good SWR across the 10m band.  As the HTX-100 doesn't do FM you only really need to worry about 28.0-28.9 or so for SSB/CW/digital communications, all of which your radio will do well.  Just get a good SWR bridge/wattmeter and trim your antenna for the best SWR in the middle of the range of frequencies you are likely to operate.  If you do this for 28.400 or so it should cover everything you need.

As far as a power supply is concerned, I don't think your rig will draw more than about 6-7A.  A small switcher, like an Astron SS-10 (7 amps continuous, 10 intermittent) will more than handle your rig.  On the used market these are under $50.

The only problem with your choice of radio is that we are at the bottom of the sunspot cycle.  10m will be dead or nearly dead probably about 80% of the time.  There are some decent, older 5 band rigs (10-80m or 15-160m) on the used market in the rougly $100-150 price class.  We are talking about early solid state rigs from the late '70s but some, if you buy from a trusted source or get an experienced ham to help you check them out, can be quite reliable still.

Good examples:  Ten Tec Triton IV (model 540), Atlas 210X or 215X, Alda 103 (three bander), Swan 100MBA, Icom IC-701 (digital display on this one).  None of these are top notch performers (possible exception: Ten Tec Triton, good receiver there) but all are decent enough to get you on more bands and allow you to enjoy ham radio more.  You could build a multi-band dipole for almost nothing and you'd be set.  All of these are 100W rigs so you'd be looking at roughly a 20-25A power supply.  A used Astron RS-25A wouldn't cost you much.

Good luck whatever you choose.

Caity
K7VO/8
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: