Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: power supply  (Read 815 times)
CHRISW

Ignore
« on: January 19, 2005, 01:46:43 PM »

what aize power supply is needed to power a Yaesu FT-8800R by itself?  and what size would i need for the possibility of adding a 6m rig, and a 220 rig?  also which ringo ranger antenna is better the ar 270 ro ar 270b which has more gain?
CHRISW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 01:49:28 PM »

also what type of antenna connector is on the rig and the ringo ranger?
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 06:07:56 AM »

The FT8800R draws as much as 8.5A according to the Yaesu specs. You'll need a supply that is rated for at least that much continuous. You can't possibly determine the size needed to power other rigs until you know what those rigs are. Just add all the current figures together and that's what you need as a minimum.

I believe all the antenna connectors require PL-259 connectors.

CHRISW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 11:12:01 AM »

i read in the manual that it needs a minimum power supply of 15 amps.  but yet it only draws 8.5.  SO i guess i'll just the manual.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2005, 08:09:38 AM »

The brochure on the Yaesu web page says 8.5A. 8.5A x 13.8V is 117W which sounds about right for a 50W radio. However, more capacity in the power supply will never hurt anything (except possibly your wallet).

K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2005, 09:03:43 AM »

Don't worry about a higher capacity power supply for adding more rigs.  You can only transmit on one at a time, right?

If you are considering 6m I *highly* recommend an all mode rig.  95% of 6m activity is SSB/CW/digital at the bottom of the band, with the lion's share of that being SSB.  You will want a horizontally polarized antenna, not a vertical, for 6m SSB.  Get a good antenna up a ways and you will be amazed what you can work on 6m.

222 FM is a great band for repeaters if it's active in your area.  The coverage of 2m, the penetration of 440, and very little intermod/interference.  Highly recommeded if there is activity where you live.  

I live in Cincinnati now which has several excellent 222 repeaters, one of which is linked to a decent 2m repeater.  Activity is pretty sparse except on the linked machine.  Downtown, where I work, you can get into the linked system on 222 but not on 2m.  I used to live near Raleigh, NC which had a pretty good amount of 222 FM going on thanks to several outstanding repeaters.

BTW, another thing for you to consider is trading that FT-8800 on a rig that does 2m and 70cm *all mode* as well.  You likely could include 6m in the same rig as well as HF.

Good luck!

Caity
K7VO/8
K7IHC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2005, 12:26:51 AM »

I like the Astron 20 and 35 amp linear (non-switching) power supplies.  I got a nice Astron RS-35M 35 amp power supply off of eBay about two years ago.  I run all four of my base station radios off of it, including a 100 watt 6m SSB rig. As said earlier, you'll only transmit on one at a time, but only running a supply at 25-50% of capacity is probably better for it.  I still have some extra capacity from which to expand the station.
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2005, 12:55:51 PM »

I'd suggest "the bigger the better."  And the YAESU recommendation for a 15 AMP. supply is probably including a hefty "safety factor," to ensure any "instantaneous" current draw doesn't cause a problem, and taking into account any inevitable accessories that might also be included in the shack.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: