Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: G5RV Setup  (Read 1853 times)
CT2IZO

Ignore
« on: January 25, 2005, 05:28:12 AM »

Hello to all. This is my 1st post. I got my ticket some months ago and I am setting up a G5RV on my roof.
I would like to ask for some advice though, since I have never put up one of these before.
The antenna is a 1/2 wave G5RV. I have space to fully extend the wire sideways. I have already put the center of the antenna up, and have left the "side" wires loose (no end connections on masts or whatsoever), I know it´s not supposed to work "yet", but I´d like to get some elmering, since I´m getting really low signals. I just hope when I get it set up and tuned it performs great, hopefully after getting some help from you Smiley Else, I´ll have to get a 5 band vertical antenna (since I´d like to get coverage on 80m,40m,20m,15m,10m)...
Many thanks is advance,

João Filipe Gonçalves
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 10:38:39 AM »

The G5RV won't work until the doublet elements (wires) are stretched out straight.  This antenna works best when the wires are horizontal and parallel to the ground, and preferably very high above ground (the higher, the better it works).  But it will work to some extent installed at only 20' or 25' above ground -- just not as well as it works when it's higher.

The ends of the wires must be well insulated from whatever supports them.

The G5RV is not a "1/2 wave" antenna.  The conventional G5RV is 102' long (~33.5m), center-fed, and is three-half wavelengths (3/2 WL) on 14 MHz.  It's really not "1/2 wave" anywhere.

WB2WIK/6
CT2IZO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 02:27:54 PM »

Thank you very much for the advice. I will stretch out the antenna and put it up as high as possible, then will probably post some results. You´re quite right about the WL of the antenna, my mistake there.
Again, thanks,

73´s

CT2IZO - João F.
N5YPJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 03:42:32 PM »

This antenna is pretty good, nothing is "perfect", for what it is and does it is good.
A tuner is a must.My favorite configuration is flat top if possible, if inverted v, get as large an apex angle as possible. I used a choke balun (1:1)where the coax connects to the ladder line. When it rains my SWR goes up, and the tuner settings are changed a little from their usual settings. My dislike was that 80 meters was difficult to tune, signal reports were good. QSYing required touching up the tuner. My antenna was at about thrity five feet, I noticed that it definitely had prefered directions on 15 mtrs and above. Hope you enjoy the antenna and to hear you on the band.
KG4GZW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 05:47:09 AM »

I hope im not to late with my comments on G5RV, but its good antenna.I do have mine flattopped 45ft high.I have the G5RVe .Important to never let the twin feed that connects to coax come in contact with any metal support,atleast 8-10in away,Never cut the twin lead for any reason,the length is very important,as well as the length of coax that may come with antenna.Keep twin lead straight and vertical,at the coax feed i have mine chocked with either 8 or 10 turns of coax just after the connector.With good ground system it has worked on 160 mtrs..But im mostly on 20.Good antenna, good luck 73's Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: