Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Powering 3 radios from one power supply  (Read 660 times)
CLEBOT

Ignore
« on: December 02, 2004, 09:34:17 PM »

As I continue to build my station, I keep finding more and more things I would like to get in order to improve the operation of my radios.  This usually results in less and less space.
Where am I going with this?
Currently I have a Yaesu VR-5000, a Bearcat 796D, and an ICOM R-75.  All three have wall mounted AC to DC "wall warts" that I would like to get rid of.  I have been toying with the idea of getting a power supply and trying to run all 3 from this one supply using a rig runner.
I am running into some trouble in choosing a supply.
What should I look for when choosing one?
All my radios are receivers only, all use 13.8 VDC and draw about .7 amps.
How much power should the supply I am looking for provide?  What is the difference between a switching power supply and a non-switching power supply (the Yaesu recommends a non-switching supply if one is to be used).  Any advice?

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 10:11:35 AM »

Of course you can do this.  Not sure what the advantage would be, other than freeing up two AC outlets.

3 x 0.7A = 2.1A.  That's the amount of current you'd need.  A 3A or 4A regulated power supply should work fine, although more doesn't hurt, and leaves you some margin to add more equipment.  7A and 10A regulated 13.8Vdc power supplies are inexpensive.

Linear (non-switching) power supplies in this range are still readily available.  Astron makes some good ones that are reliable, inexpensive, and American made.

WB2WIK/6
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2004, 02:11:26 PM »

Switching power supplies are smaller an lighter than linear power supplies but they have the potential for creating RF noise that can get into your receiver - especially if your antenna is located close by.

For the relatively small amount of power you need, I'd stick with a linear supply for your application.
NS6Y_

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 10:17:44 PM »

This is the same thing I'm looking at doing, 3 radios from one supply, in my case an old Bearcat 300, an Icom 2100H which I transmit with occasionally, and an eagerly-awaited Ten Tec SW reciever.

I'm planning to make up some fixtures or maybe a homemade rigrunner type thing, and hook them up that way. I have a nonswitching ("Linear") Astron power supply that's good for 7 amps or so so I think I'll be all right.

Some ideas: The individually fused setup of the RigRunner is a very good idea, and better for safety. So are connectors like the Anderson PowerPoles because you can't accidentally lay one on top of the other and short something out, and when used properly in pairs, you won't get the wrong polarity on anything. Keep in mind that when not in pairs, you *can* plug a black into a red, etc. so be careful.

Maybe this is why so many RigRunners are sold, maybe I should just buy one myself. They *are* pretty nice!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: