Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Choosing between the FT-840 and the IC-718  (Read 847 times)
W5GFQ

Ignore
« on: March 16, 2005, 11:25:13 AM »

I've read the reviews and a lot of you like these transceivers.  I'd appreciate hearing a few more opinions on the Icom IC-718 vs the Yaesu FT-840.

Thanks!

Sam
W5GFQ
WA9FZB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 02:07:39 PM »

I can't compare the two, as I only own the FT-840.  I chose the 840 because I didn't want a menu-driven radio.  I've been hamming for over 40 years and wanted a new rig that would be quick to get from the carton onto the air.  I may have given up some bells or whistles, but I sure can't think of which they may be.  I find the 840 to be well constructed, simple to use and just a lot of fun for the cost and the space it requires.  Seemed to me that it would be a more graceful transition into the 21st century for me, from my analog separate xmtr and rcvr to a (relatively) modern digital xcvr.

I'll wait and let some of the experts compare the technical merits of the two, but suffice it to say that I'm fully satisfied with the performance of this little rig.  I've used it mostly on CW (with the 500 Hz filter), and a little bit of SSB contest work.  The fun is back!  I don't think you'd go wrong with the 840.

Of course, that's just my opinion. . .

73 es good luck!
Steve  WA9FZB
VE3IOS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 07:38:00 AM »

I had a 718 and I was very pleased with it. It is one of those radios that Icom puts out that turns out to be a gem. Great receiver and transmitter as well. I dx on 75 meter ssb and it had all the punch and selectivity I needed. I have used Tentec equipment for the past 5 years and then picked up an Icom 718. It does have sub menus as mentioned but not many. Everything you need is right there or just one button push away. What a great little radio. I would not hesitate to buy another
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 08:59:14 AM »

The 840 has FM but the 718 does not. How often do you plan to use 10 meter FM? I own the 718 and its a excellent radio all around. if you are going to Dayton be on the look out for great deals inside the arena. I paid like $ 485 with the UT - 106 DSP at Dayton. The 718 is built strong and its very reliable.

Still using Windows XP Pro.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 10:25:55 AM »

The FT840 is FM 'capable' meaning you have to buy the FM module which costs $70.00 from AES. The other caveat about the '840 is that if you plan on doing FM, AM or RTTY, be aware that you should turn the power down to about 50 watts or less. The '840 is 'capable' of full duty cycle but only for 3 minutes and then you have to let it cool down for 3 minutes. At 50%, you can run virtually all day.

Good luck!

NØIU
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2005, 02:14:14 PM »

My honest answer to this question is "none of the above".  For not much more money you can have 6m, 2m, and 70cm built into the rig.  If you haven't played on 6m SSB/CW you don't know what you're missing.

I'd look at a Yaesu FT-897D in your posiiton even if it means saving a little longer for the extra shekels.  I'm assuming you have to have a 100W rig.  My choice is QRP so I went with the FT-817.

Caity
K7VO/8
KC0SOG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 06:08:41 AM »

Sam,  

I have the FT-840 and it works OK, but I recommend the IC-718 if you want to stay in this price class.  The FT-840 does not have very many features compared to the IC-718.  I chose the FT-840 only because it already had a CW filter installed and the price was right on eBay.   I would have got the IC-718 otherwise and regret that I did not.

Doug kc0sog
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: